Late Drop Policy
Students may petition to Late Drop for serious and compelling reasons after the drop deadline (Check the official academic calendar to verify the date. A quick link is available on www.sjsu.edu). Reasons must be documented. Conditions and circumstances defined as 'serious and compelling' and are considered beyond the student's control, which occurred after the drop deadline are listed below. Legitimate documentation must be provided:
- Health: Serious health reasons out of your control (e.g. personal health, serious family illness or assigned caretaker). Attach a doctor's note or other appropriate verifiable documentation.
- Military assignment: Military assignment papers.
- Divorce: Divorce papers or certification of pending divorce.
- Natural Disaster: (e.g. fire, earthquake): verifiable documentation.
- Employment: Letter from employer, on letterhead indicating reason(s) for work schedule circumstances conflicting with the class requested to drop.
- Personal: Verifiable and appropriate documentation other than student's statement.
- Administrative Error: University documentation from appropriate departments.
A personal statement submitted without supporting documents is not acceptable. Students must understand that their personal letter alone will not suffice as verifiable
Late drops are to be submitted to the counter of Academic Advising and Retention Services in the Student Services Center (9th and San Fernando). Take the right ramp from the lobby, and our desk will be directly in front of you.
Instructors' signature does not mean approval.
Submission of petition does not mean approval. Continue going to class.
Late Drops will not be accepted after the last day of instruction.