Remediation Policy

Key Links


Search AARS








All new students who do not provide proof of exemption must take the Entry Level Math (ELM) and English Placement Test (EPT) and the results must be available before they will be allowed to enroll in courses.  These tests are placement tools and have no bearing on eligibility for admission to the university.

Placement into Developmental Math and writing courses is mandatory for all first-time frosh and lower division transfer students who score less than 50 on the ELM or less than 147 on the EPT. Visit the Developmental Studies website for more information.


  • Math 6A is only offered in the fall and Math 6B is only offered in the spring.  Math 3A and Math 3B are equivalent courses and can be taken when the required course is not offered.
  • Math 6D is independent study.  Students must be advised by the Developmental Math coordinator before enrolling in this course. 

EO 665

Executive Order 665 applies to lower division admits who have not satisfied the ELM and/or EPT requirement.  The primary focus of EO 665 is on regularly admitted first time frosh.  However, special admits and lower division transfers are also affected.  

Information about the campus policies and practices regarding remediation can be found at the Admissions Remediation webpage. Additional information regarding remediation can be found at Susan McClory's remediation website.

For an electronic version of the Policies and Practices or the approved list of courses for remedial students, contact Susan McClory at:

Key Points

  • Regularly admitted First Time Freshmen (FTF) have one year to complete required remedial courses.
  • Lower division transfers and special admit First Time Freshmen have two years to complete required remedial courses.
  • One-semester extensions are given based on the student's GPA or on the length of time the student has been educated in the US.  To be considered for a GPA extension, the student can have only one area of remediation left unmet.
  • Students identified by the DRC will be given additional extensions on a case-by-case basis.
  • Summer sessions do not count toward the time limit.

Courses Taken at Other Campuses

  • Remedial English or math courses taken at other CSU campuses must be evaluated by the Academic English or the Developmental Math coordinator respectively.
  • At community colleges, students must take a course equivalent to English 1A and earn a grade of C or better to satisfy the EPT requirement.
  • Developmental writing classes taken at community colleges are not accepted for placement purposes.
  • A grade of C or better in an intermediate algebra course taken after a student has taken the ELM will satisfy the ELM requirement.  If the course is completed prior to the ELM being taken, the score earned on the ELM will be the basis for placement.
  • Students providing proof of completion of remedial requirements should be referred to the EO 665 coordinator.

PeopleSoft Issues

  • Students who see either an ELM or EPT service indicator on their records may interpret them as a hold.  They are not holds.  They simply mean that the student must register for the required remedial course in order to remain enrolled in other classes.
  • Students subject to remediation under EO 665 will be placed into the UGRM program.  This will restrict their enrollment to courses on the approved list. Students who have completed one but not both of the requirements can register for additional courses with assistance.  Registration in these courses requires a career override.

Disqualification and Reinstatement

  • Students who fail to remediate in the allotted time will be subject to Administrative Academic Disqualification and will be placed on a one-year leave of absence.
  • Any student who completes the required remediation by one of the methods outlined above within one year will be reinstated but will still be subject to any academic probation or disqualification based on GPA.  
  • Students who complete their remedial requirements after the one-year time limit must reapply to the university.

For more information or questions regarding remediation, contact: