Who We Are
The Academic Counseling Center for Excellence in the Social Sciences (ACCESS) is a hub that will provide Academic Advising, Academic Planning, Graduation Planning, Probation Advising, and Undeclared Advising for all College of Social Sciences Students (CoSS) as well as connect CoSS Students to helpful resources.
ACCESS Center Advisors will be committed to student success and promoting development and growth of all students through effective advising, engagement, and exchange of knowledge.
Through academic advising at the ACCESS Center students will:
- Understand university policies and procedures.
- Determine and utilize the necessary resources and services to support their goals.
- Understand General Education Requirements.
- Exhibit an understanding of their degree requirements.
- Assist in selecting courses to progress toward completing their educational plan.
- Demonstrate the ability to make effective decisions, enhance problem-solving skills, and communicate effectively.
- Understand the importance of including experiences outside of the classroom in their educational plan.
- Understand the difference between ACCESS Advisors & Faculty Advisors and when to engage with each.
- Graduate in a timely manner.
Stop by ACCESS for:
- General Education Advising
- Academic Planning
- General Information On Our Majors
- Graduation Planning
- Probation/Reinstatement Advising
- A quiet place to study (and/or do group projects)
- A chance to meet fellow social sciences majors and peer advisors
- Help with changing major
ACCESS Center Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 8:30am to 5:00pm and Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm times are subject to change due to events or workshops.
We offer free Statistics and Writing Tutoring for CoSS Students only. For more information, come by our office Clark Hall 240, call 408.924.5363, or click on our Tutoring Tab.
Need Career Advice? Your Career Counselor and liaison, (Sandra De Leon, firstname.lastname@example.org 408-924-7811) can provide coaching on a variety of topics including: choosing a major/career, job/internship strategies, resume/cover letter writing, and interviewing. Stop by ACCESS on Wednesdays 1:00pm - 3:00pm to get your career-related questions answered.
Appointments and Drop In Advising
CoSS students can simply make appointments by the following:
Follow the link below
Call 408.924.5363, and talk to our Office Manager
Come by our center in Clark Hall 420
Drop In Advising
We offer daily Drop In Advising from Monday-Thursday: 9:00am to 5:00pm and Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm. Come by our center in Clark Hall 420
When making appointments, CoSS Students will be routed to their assigned ACCESS Advisor.
Non College of Social Science (CoSS) Majors, Undeclared Students, cannot make appointments online. You can call 408.924.5363 or come into our office to book appointments or talk to an advisor during Drop In Appointment times.