To the student, accessibility at SJSU means:
- Helping to create an inclusive environment in the classroom that enables all students
to be successful in attaining an education, regardless of disability.
- Assisting a person with a disability in the event of an emergency evacuation.
- Assisting a person with a disability in your classroom by volunteering as a note taker
or by helping during an emergency evacuation.
- Creating accessible class presentations and projects (e.g.: PowerPoint presentations)
- Understanding that everyone communicates and performs tasks at a different pace and
in different ways.
- Discouraging stereotypical behavior.
If you are a student with a disability, this also means:
- Communicating and building a relationship and rapport with your professors so that
they understand the ways you learn and express your knowledge.
- Getting more accessible instructional materials (syllabus, hand-outs, captioning,
- Gaining better access to electronic and information technology.
- Becoming familiar with the resources provided by the Accessible Education Center (AEC) by scheduling an intake appointment to determine eligibility and services.