The Bus 127A and 127B Honors Practicum courses are being offered as part of the Gary
J. Sbona Honors Program in the College of Business. The College of Business at SJSU
is the only business college in the U.S. offering this type of program! In addition,
if you take both Honors Program courses (Bus127A and Bus127B) and you have a 3.5 GPA
in your major, you will be eligible to graduate with Departmental Honors from the
College of Business. Prior students say this is the best course they have taken at
The requirements for eligibility for this course are as follows:
- Senior or Junior (have completed at least one semester at SJSU) status
- That you have completed at least one of the pre-requisite courses, which include Bus 121A, Bus 121B, Bus 122A, Bus 170 and Bus 173A
- That you have a GPA of at least 3.25 in the pre-requisite courses.
- That you have an overall SJSU GPA of at least 3.25. (If 3.0 or above, you can still qualify with a letter of recommendation from one of your professors.)
- Other desirable qualifications include good oral and written communication skills, good computer software skills, and involvement in extra-curricular activities, including other internships or work experience.
The course is designed to put you into an intern-like position as part of a team of
students with a company in the Silicon Valley working on a project to be determined
by the Company and myself. You will get to choose which project/company you want to
work with. This intern-like position is is for college credit, not for pay, and will
involve working with a team of other students under the direct supervision of the
Company you are assigned to and myself.
Benefits to you include:
- on the job work experience,
- completing an analytical project for a Company,
- having a good teamwork experience,
- three units of college course credit
- an opportunity to show what you can do for a potential future employer.
- a great line item on your resume
- social/networking events with alumni and fmni and firms
- field trips to participating companies
Companies that have participated in the program, along with others, include:
The course is offered in the evening from 6:00 PM to 8:45PM with project work assignments
requiring approximately 6 to 8 hours per week. Project work time is work time is very
flexible and can be negotiated with your team and firm. I take into consideration
your class time and other work schedules. Class time includes guest speakers, progress
reports on your projects, program management, report generation and presentation training,
fun events and much more.
The application deadline for Fall 2016/Spring 2017 is May 2,2016. The application form is available now.
If you wish to be considered for the Accounting & Finance Honors Practicum, please complete the online Application Form by the application deadline. In the application form, you will include an unofficial SJSU transcript, your resume and an essay on the assigned question. The essay topic is: what do you hope to gain from this course, and what can you contribute to making it a success. Please only submit your application once. You may return to edit your application once you submit it (keep the link), but it will be less confusing if you assemble all your materials and complete the entire process at one time
If you have questions, you may call me at 408-924-3942 or better yet, email me at email@example.com