The BUS1 127A and 127B Honors Practicum courses are being offered as part of the Gary J. SbonaHonors Program in the Lucas College and Graduate School of Business. The Lucas College and Graduate School of Business at SJSU is the only business college in the U.S. offering this type of program! In addition, if you take both Honors Program courses (BUS1 127A and BUS1 127B) and you have a 3.5 GPA in your major, you will be eligible to graduate with Departmental Honors from the College of Business. Prior students say this is the best course they have taken at SJSU!
- Junior or Senior standing (have completed at least one semester at SJSU)
- You have completed at least one of the pre-requisite courses, BUS1 121A, BUS1 121B, BUS1 122A, BUS1 170 and BUS1 173A.
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.25 in the pre-requisite courses.
- Have an overall SJSU GPA of at least 3.25 (if 3.0 or above, you may qualify with a letter of recommendation from one of your Professors).
- Additional desirable qualifications include: - good oral and written communication skills, - good computer software skills, - involvement in extra-curricular activities including other internships or work experience.
The course is designed to place you into an intern-like position as part of a team of students with a company in Silicon Valley and you will work on a project determined by the faculty (me) and the Company. You will choose a project/company with whom you wish to work. This intern-like position is for college credit only, not for pay, and will involve working with a team of other students under the direct supervision of the faculty member and the Company to whom you are assigned.
Benefits of the Program
- On the job work experience
- Completing an analytical project for a Company
- Having a good teamwork experience
- Three units of college course credit
- An opportunity to show what you can do for a potential future employer
- A great line item on your resume
- Social/networking events with firms and alumni
- Field trips to participating companies
The course is offered in the evening from 6:00 PM to 8:45PM. Project work assignments require approximately 6 to 8 hours per week. Project work time is very flexible and can be negotiated with your team and the firm. Your class time and other work schedules are taken into consideration. Class time includes guest speakers, project progress reports, program management, report generation, presentation training, fun events, and much more.
Participating Companies (not limited to the following)
The application deadline for Fall 2016/Spring 2017 is May 2, 2016. The application form is available now.
If you wish to be considered for the Accounting & Finance Honors Practicum, please complete the online Application Form by the application deadline. In the application form, you will include an unofficial SJSU transcript, your resume and an essay on the assigned question. The essay topic is:500 words noting the course at SJSU where you received your best grade and the course where you received your worst grade and explaining why for both grades
Please submit your application only once. You may return to the link to edit your application once it is submitted (save the link). It will be less confusing if you assemble all your materials and complete the entire process at one time.
If you have questions, please e-mail me at (preferred contact) Bahram.email@example.com– or call me at 408-924-3942.