New Head Chef - Mario DeLuca
Spartan Shops would like to welcome the newest member of our culinary team, Head Chef, Mario DeLuca. Noteworthy positions he's held include Executive Chef at Lambeau Field, and the Rock Gardens banquet facility in Wisconsin; Sous Chef at the Village Bistro & Wine Bar at Santana Row, and most recently, he was responsible for opening a newly remodeled cafe at Hewlett Packard in Palo Alto.
Chef Mario's strong commitment to delivering quality cuisine and the highest standards of customer service will compliment our existing team in the Catering department. Spartan Shops is excited about the breadth of experience Chef Mario brings to our organization and we look forward to displaying an array of new menu items and improved recipes to showcase at both our university and off-site events.
We're bringing in some new and healthy items including our Freshly Wild Kale Joy snacks and Onion Joy snacks. Packed with vitamins and minerals, these snacks not only taste good, but they make you feel good.
We're also bringing in some local, energy-boosting Big Sur Bars from Morro Bay. These bars are freshly baked and have no additives or artificial coloring.
We now have Alternative Baking Company Vegan Cookie from Sacramento! These local goodies are vegan and come in a variety of tasty flavors like lemon, chocolate chip, peanut butter and the monthly flavor - cranberry orange for February.
This Spring, we are bringing in a new, healthy and organic beverage called Froovie! Froovie is full of anti-oxidant rich berries and teas, vitamin-packed veggies, and contains no processed sugar.
On Fourth Café
We are now using 100% compostable Tully's hot beverage cups.
Also, are you a frequent coffee customer? Well, we have the perfect loyalty program for you that stays right in your phone. Download the GVING app and when you buy 10 cups of Tully's coffee, you'll get the 11th one free!
Coming this Spring, we will introduce our new Catering Menu with new choices. Stay tuned...
National Heart Health Month
February is National Heart Health Month, so celebrate by treating your heart right with the following Heart Healthy Food Tips:
- Look for heart labels in all of the dining units for heart healthy food options.
- Look for items that are low in fat, cholesterol, and saturated fat. Try grabbing some fresh veggies or fruits, like tomatoes at the Village Market, or apples at Just Below.
- Unsalted nuts contain healthy unsaturated fats that your body needs, and also help lower your cholesterol.
- Along with eating heart healthy foods, make sure you're getting 30 minutes of exercise at least 4 days a week. Hop on your bike and go for a ride, or take a stroll around campus with friends. It's important to keep your body active.
- Try eating fat-free or low-fat versions of milk, cheese, yogurt and other dairy products.