Information and Resources for Parents/Families
On this page, find websites, books, and other resources for parents/family of SJSU students.
SJSU Websites for Parents/Families of SJSU Students
Helpful Websites for Parents/Families of College Students
- College Board Information for Parents/Families
- College Tips For Parents/Families
- College Drinking Prevention for Parents
- JED Foundation - Suicide Prevention for Parents/Families of College Students
- A Parent Support Guide
- Question about Financial Aid and Scholarship Resources
Online Articles on Parenting College-Aged Students
- Parenting a College Student, retrieved 2/11/09 from
- Advice for College Parents, retrieved 2/11/09 from
Helpful Books for Parents/Families of College Students
- You're On Your Own (But I'm Here if You Need Me): Mentoring Your Child During the College Years, Marjorie Savage
- I'll Miss You Too: An Off-to-College Guide for Parents and Students, Steffany Bane
- Don't Tell Me What to Do, Just Send Money: The Essential Parenting Guide to the College Years, Helen E. Johnson & Christine Schelhas-Miller
- Parents' Guide to College Life: 181 Straight Answers on Everything You Can Expect Over the Next Four Years, Robin Raskin
- Letting Go: A Parents' Guide to Understanding the College Years, Karen Levin Coburn
Resources at SJSU
Below find a short listing of SJSU resources available to students to assist them in their academic and career pursuits. Students often turn to parents and other family members for support, and being knowledgeable about SJSU resources will help our students find the resources they need on campus!
- The SJSU Career Center assists with selecting a major, choosing a career path, helping students prepare to enter their selected career, and finding a job on or off campus.
Community & Service Learning
- Students have many opportunities at SJSU to participate in community service through academic study. Visit the Advising Hub's Community & Service Learning webpage for more information.
Counseling (Personal, Educational & Psychiatric)
- Counseling Services at SJSU assists students with personal, academic and psychiatric issues which may arise during their SJSU career.
- The Student Health Center at SJSU provides medical care to enrolled SJSU students.
Life & Study Skills
- Student Success Programs at SJSU include workshops and other helpful information sessions on topics such as Time Management, Note Taking, Major/Career Exploration, Alcohol & Drugs, Money Management, Healthy Living, Stress, Test Taking, and more!
- Individual skill development appointments, workshops, and group sessions may be sought from Educational Counseling at Counseling Services.
Safety on Campus
- Information about the safety of students at SJSU may be found at the University Police Department (UPD) website.
- The Study Abroad Program at SJSU offers certified programs in over 200 universities in more than 40 countries and is a great way to diversify the learning process at SJSU.
Find a comprehensive list of campus resources available to students on the Advising Hub Resources web page for students.