Modification, Waiver or Substitutions of Requirements

Quick Links

Follow us for the most up to date advising information!

Advising Hub's Twitter feedAdvising Hub's Facebook feedUseful links

Certain petitions may be used by students to obtain permission to modify academic requirements. Students should consult with a staff member in the Student Services Center before submitting any request, to make sure that the request is appropriate and will be considered.

SJSU allows students to take certain examinations to complete certain SJSU requirements:

  • Waiver Examinations are available to waive certain University Requirements (click on Waiver of Requirements). Students should note that although success in a waiver examination satisfies a requirement, it does not yield unit credit. Contact the Testing Office for more information.
  • Credit by Examination is also available. Students may challenge courses by taking examinations developed at SJSU. Credit shall be awarded to those who pass them successfully. Student must be enrolled in the class in order to receive credit. Students may not earn credit by exam if they have previously taken or subsequently taken equivalent coursework. The form required for Credit by Examination may be found at the Office of the Registrar's form webpage.
  • SJSU grants credit toward its undergraduate degrees for successful completion of certain Standardized Examinations such as AP, IB, CLEP and ACT PEP.

NOTE:Certain requirements cannot be considered for modification, waiver or substitution.

  1. Complete instructions and forms are available in the Student Services Center. Petitions may also be found online.
  2. Students are encouraged to consult with their major advisors before submitting any petition/request(s).
  3. Specific instructions for each request are printed on the petition.
  4. An "appeal" may be made to the Undergraduate Studies Office (UGS) if the request is denied. Special appeals may be filed with the Ombudsperson when all other appeals have been exhausted.
  5. All petitions will have a copy of the final approved/denied petition sent to the student. (Student must provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope.)

Go Back