Frequently Asked Questions

Admission to SJSU

Applying for AEC Accommodations and Services

Academic Advising Questions

Housing Accommodations

Disability-Related Inquiries


Admission to SJSU

Q: Is there a separate admissions process to SJSU for students with disabilities?

A: All students must apply through the same admissions process and meets the admissions criteria.  It is important to first visit the Admissions webpage. There you will find information about the eligibility criteria for admission to SJSU. 

Applying for AEC Accommodations and Services

Q: What type of documentation is required to register with AEC?

A: AEC Guidelines for Disability Documentation are provided on the website. Following these guidelines ensures that documentation submitted to the AEC verifies the student’s disability and supports requests for accommodations and services.  

Q: How do I notify SJSU that I have a disability and need accommodations?

A: Simply click on the “yellow sticky note” located on AEC’s main page, and follow the 3 steps to register.

Q: Will the accommodations I have received at previous institutions be available at SJSU?

A: Accommodations received at a previous institution do not assure that students will be prescribed the same accommodations at SJSU.  Course accommodations are prescribed following a review of students syllabi (green sheets) and provided only where disability-related educational limitation(s) indicate need.  

Q: If I am registered with the AEC, will I receive priority registration?

A: Priority registration received at previous institution(s) does not determine eligibility at SJSU; priority registration is determined on a case by case basis.

Q: Am I required to inform my instructors about my disability?

A: Students are not legally required to disclose the nature of their disability to faculty. However, students utilizing AEC services will need to disclose their AEC registration if they will be utilizing course accommodations. 

Q: How long does AEC maintain my confidential file?

A: The AEC purges student files after five years of inactivity in the SJSU system.  The AEC recommends students retain copies for their own records.

Q: Is the confidentiality of a student’s records/status maintained through the Accessible Education Center?

A: Yes. The AEC does not release information to outside parties without written consent from the student. As well, no record of disability status appears on any academic transcript or permanent document maintained by the Office of the Registrar. 

AEC practices the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which is a law that protects students' educational records and prevents the improper disclosure of these records. As an AEC student, you must sign a release of information and specify the individual you are authorizing the release of disability-related information. Unless AEC has the student’s written and signed authorization, AEC will not disclose information to faculty, staff, parents, or other third parties.


Academic Advising Questions

Q: If my disability prevents me from satisfying a basic skill GE requirement, can I petition for a substitution?

A: Given the uniqueness of this type of petition, you will need to confer with an AEC counselor to determine eligibility. 

Q: I have received an approval from my community college for a GE Math substitution.  Will SJSU also approve of this petition?

A: SJSU does not accept petitions granted at previous institutions. Students will need to speak to an AEC Counselor to determine eligibility to submit a similar petition.  

Q: Does SJSU waive course and/or test requirements for students with disabilities?

A: All students must meet all graduation requirements, which include course and test requirements. In rare instances, students may petition to have a graduation requirement substituted with appropriate coursework for disability-related reasons.

Q: Why do I need to take the WST?

A: In 1977, the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) was implemented system-wide through all the CSU campuses to evaluate university level writing skills. A passing score on the WST is a pre-requisite for the SJSU Studies requirements.  Should you require accommodations, contact the AEC to register to request WST accommodations at least one month prior to the date of the WST. Please see the AEC website for more information.

Q: Does AEC provide tutors to assist students with disabilities?

A: The AEC does not provide tutoring for students with disabilities. The University offers tutoring to all students through campus resources such as Peer Connections and the Writing Center. AEC students utilizing these campus resources are provided consideration for additional support time. 


Housing Accommodations

Q: Is University Housing accessible for students with disabilities?

A: Yes. Students requesting on-campus housing must indicate their accommodation needs on their University Housing Application (e.g., wheelchair accessibility, doorbell and telephone signalers). Disability documentation must be submitted to the AEC in addition to requesting accommodations on the Housing Application. The AEC recommends you make an appointment as soon as possible with an AEC counselor regarding your accommodations.


Disability-Related Inquiries

Q: Are there any financial aid scholarships or programs available for students with disabilities? 

A: Scholarships for students with disabilities may be available through the private sector; this information is available on the Financial and Scholarship Office website.

Q: How do I make a complaint or express a concern regarding a prescribed accommodation?

A: Faculty, staff or students with questions, concerns or disagreements regarding a prescribed accommodation(s) should schedule an appointment to talk with an AEC Counselor to discuss the concern to resolve the matter as expeditiously as possible. Students should make a reasonable, good-faith attempt to resolve the complaint on an informal basis following the Student Grievance Procedures in accordance with Presidential Directive 97-03, Accommodations for Students with Disabilities. 

Q: Who is qualified to be my notetaker?

A: Notetakers must be matriculated students and enrolled in the same course you are requesting notes. Notetaking is a semester-long service provided through the last class session. Notetakers are required to complete the following AEC notetaking packet: Memorandum of Understanding/Confidentiality Policy and the Verification of Notetaking Services Rendered.

Q: I am pregnant and need to get a disabled parking permit for SJSU. Where do I go?

A: Disabled parking is available to students who are expecting in campus disabled parking locations. A temporary (red) DMV issued disabled parking placard along with your SJSU parking permit must be displayed in your vehicle. Failure to display both items properly as described in SJSU’s Parking Regulations will result in a parking citation from SJSU Parking Services

Q: Does the AEC loan out wheelchairs?

A: The University does not provide wheelchairs to students or University guests.  

Q: I think I might have a learning disability. What should I do? 

A: The AEC provides Learning Disability Assessment for students who are self-referred or referred, by faculty or staff on campus. Students requesting Learning Disability assessment must complete a comprehensive Learning Disability Intake/Assessment Application and return a hard copy to AEC, Administration Building, Room 110. Following the student’s submitted application, AEC's Educational Psychologist will contact the student directly.