Frequently Asked Questions

students talking

Below are frequently asked academic advising questions for current and prospective SJSU students.


















What is a Degree Progress Report and how can it help me?

A degree progress is a valuable tool for Student and Academic Advisors.  Students can use the dergree progress report to:  

  • view classes they have taken at SJSU and what classes have transferred in from other schools, 
  • see what their current academic standing is,
  • view ELM, EPT and WST test scores,
  • review courses left to take towards graduation,
  • and much more! 

The degree progress is a must know for all students who wish to take control of their education.  View the Accessing Your Degree Progress Tutorial (PDF) now!

back to top



How do I arrange a class schedule?

It is recommended that you meet with an Academic Advisor every semester to determine which classes to take.   The AEC provides academic advisement to registered AEC students.  Refer to the AEC Academic Advisement webpage for information on how to make an appointment.

Note:  AEC Academic Advisors cannot remove holds or change majors.  The following information is not meant to replace an advising appointment. This information should be used after meeting with your advisor(s) to determine which classes to take.

back to top



Who can I contact if I can't access my mySJSU account?

You can receive help with your mySJSU account by contacting CMS Help Desk.

back to top



Can I take a class over again if I did poorly the first time?

Students receiving a grade of C-, D+, D, D-, F, IC or WU may repeat a course through Grade Forgiveness (only a certain number of units may be forgiven, and may only be done once per course). This process will replace the previous grade in your GPA calculation, but will still show up on your transcript. It is always recommended that you discuss with a AEC Academic Advisor strategies in managing your disability and passing the class. 

Note: The option to repeat a course for Grade Forgiveness is subject to space in the course after the close of the advanced registration and open enrollment periods begins the first day of class. To add a course for Grade Forgiveness, a student must:

  1. Obtain an add code from the instructor.

  2. Add the course online at

back to top



What if all the classes I want are closed or waitlisted?

You may put yourself on the waitlist during advanced registration by registering for the class and checking the waitlist checkbox. If someone drops the course, the first person on the waitlist will be enrolled in the course. However, once advanced registration ends, the waitlist will disappear and you will need to attend the first day of class to see if the instructor will let you add the course.



I was waitlisted at spot number (#), and now it's not on my schedule anymore. What happened?

After the last day of advanced registration, all waitlists are dropped, and you must attend the first day of class to see if the instructor will let you add the course. Make sure you add a backup class that you can definitely register for, in case you cannot add the waitlisted course. See the schedule of classes for more information about waitlisting.

For assistance with class selection see an Academic Advisor.

back to top


What if I change my mind about the courses I want to take before the semester starts?

You may add and drop courses during advanced registration period which ends about a week prior to the beginning of the semester. Be mindful of the add and drop deadlines each semester, also before dropping a class, be sure that the class you are interested in adding is available. Beginning the first day of the semester, you may attend a course you would like to late add and request a permission number from the instructor.  

back to top



What is the max number of units I can take?

Currently during advanced registration, undergraduate students may only add up to 14 units, with the exception of graduating seniors who may add up to 18 units. If you wish to take more than this amount, you will need to complete a petition for excess units. You can get the most up to date "Excess Units Petition" at the Office of the Registrar's form webpage at the beginning of the semester. Freshmen registering for the first time and are enrolled in remedial coursework are limited to 12 units. 

back to top



When is the last date to add or drop a class?

You may add and drop courses during advanced registration. A week or so before the semester starts, you will not be able to add anymore courses, and you must attend the first day of classes and obtain add codes from your instructor to enroll in the course. Be mindful of the add and drop deadlines each semester.
You may find the official dates at the Academic Calendar webpage. Click on the current academic year.

If you wish to late drop a class for a disability related reason, please contact the AEC at 408-924-6000 and schedule to meet with an Academic Advisor. For more information about late drops refer to the Academic Advising & Retention Services policy on late drops. Please be aware that the AEC must always adhere to student policies and guidelines. 

back to top



How can I lift the hold on my account?

Pay careful attention to the message you receive about your hold. The message should indicate which office you must contact in order to lift your hold.

There are many types of holds:  Two of the most common are major holds and payment holds. A major hold is placed when you need to meet with your major department academic Advisor to lift the hold. A financial hold is placed when you have a pending or overdue balance in you student account.

NOTE: AEC Academic Advisors cannot lift HOLDS of any type.

back to top



How many classes do I have to take to be full time?

A full time undergraduate student generally takes a minimum of 12 units per semester. This amount may be different for graduate or international students, or students receiving insurance based on enrollment or Veteran's benefits. Check with the outside source to be sure of their definition of full time.

Some AEC students are advised to take less than 12 units in order to best manage their disabilities.  Please see a AEC Academic Advisor every semester to discuss this option. Please be aware that even with AEC support to enroll in a reduced unit load, if you receive federal financial aid grant monies, your financial award will always be pro rated per the number of enrolled units per semester.

back to top



How many credits do I need to be a Frosh, Sophomore, Junior or Senior?

Your class standing is based on how many units you have completed not how many years you have been attending college. 

  • 0 to 29.5 units completed - Freshman

  • 30 to 59.5 units completed - Sophomore 

  • 60 to 89.5 units completed - Junior 

  • 90 or more units completed - Senior

What do I need to know about being a  (Click on appropriate link):

back to top



I am taking 14 units, but 8 of them are remedial (development) classes. Am I still considered "full time?"

Although remedial (or developmental) courses are not counted towards your degree, they are classes counted towards units used to determine full time status for financial aid purposes.

back to top



I am taking remedial classes. What do I need to know? What is Executive Order (EO) 665?

In the fall of 1998, every CSU campus was required to comply with an executive order issued by the Board of Trustees and the CSU Chancellor’s Office.  This order (EO 665), deals with how the CSU will handle students who enter one of the 23 CSU campuses needing extra preparation in math and/or English before taking college level courses in these areas.

For information about remediation, please visit Susan McClory's website.