BS - Industrial Technology, Concentration in Computer Network System Management
The Bachelor of Science in Industrial Technology with a concentration in Computer Network System Management is designed to prepare students for employment opportunities in the field of Computer Network System and Management.
You will gain knowledge, skills and practical experience in network systems, operations, administration, and management.
Computer Network System Management is a diverse and expanding field which leads to careers including telecommunication and network services. The graduates of this concentration could design, implement, and maintain computer and information networks such as Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN), Internet/Intranet/Extranet, Data Communications Network, and Computer Security to protect from cyber-attacks. Graduates of the Industrial Technology in Computer Network System Management will be able to:
- Use a broad understanding of network and communications technologies to solve challenges in wireless networking and communications.
- Use current programming languages and methods to solve problems in business and industry.
- Solve network and electronic systems problems in analytical and creative ways.
- Apply analog and digital communication techniques to a variety of problems in industry.
- Use computer-aided design and simulation for the development of electronic systems, printed circuit boards, and integrated circuits.
- Develop and implement software systems for control of industrial processes in electronics and communications.
- Integrate the processes of instrumentation and automation in the electronics industry.
- Use skills and knowledge in the control of electronics and networking manufacturing processes, production scheduling and testing.
- Apply networking and telecommunications theory and management.
- Design and analyze electronic circuits and systems.
4-Year Program Roadmap
Students may find a roadmap for this program here. These roadmaps are an advising tool that outlines a path of courses a student can take to complete requirements for graduation. Roadmaps should be used in consultation with the catalog and your advisor to identify additional requirements for completing the major (for example course grade minimums).
This degree program meets certain University Requirements through approved major modifications. Please see the Major Exceptions area in the Policy and Procedures section of this catalog to identify the specific adjustments for this degree program or contact your major advisor for more details.
51 units required by the University, 24 may be satisfied by specified major and support requirements.
University Graduation Requirements
Core Lower Division General Education
Of the 39 units required by the university, 27 units may be satisfied by coursework outlined below. Courses that meet GE Areas Al, A2, A3 or B4 must be passed with a "C-" or better to meet the requirement. Consult with major advisor for details.
Upper Division General Education
Of the 9 units required by the university, 9 units may be satisfied by coursework outlined below. Consult with major advisor for details.
The 6 units of American Institutions (US 1-2-3) coursework shown below also fulfills GE Areas D2 and D3. Other courses meet the American Institutions requirement, but may not include additional GE areas. The American Studies (AMS 1A/B) and Humanities Honors (HUM 1A/B, 2A/B) programs both offer larger integrated packages that meet this requirement. Consult with major advisor for details.
- AMS 001A (6)
- AMS 001B (6)
Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement
At SJSU, students must pass both the SJSU Writing Skills Test (WST) and a lOOW course. For additional information on the WST, please see http://testing.sjsu.edu/wst. Exceptions to the GWAR may be found at http://info.sisu.edu/gwar.html.
A grade of C or better (C-not accepted) is required to meet graduation requirement.
Preparation for the Major
- CHEM 001A (5)
- MATH 071 (3)
- ECON 001B (4)
- PHYS 002A (4)
- PHYS 002B (4)
- TECH 030 (3)
- TECH 060 (3)
- TECH 063 (3)
- TECH 065 (3)
- TECH 066 (3)
- TECH 136 (3)
- TECH 145 (3)
- TECH 190A (3)
- TECH 190B (3)
- TECH 198 (3)
- BUS 186 (3)
- ENGR 100W (3)
Computer Network System Management Concentration
- TECH 067 (3)
- TECH 068 (3)
- TECH 170 (3)
- TECH 171 (3)
- TECH 172 (3)
- TECH 173 (3)
- TECH 179 (3)
- Complete six units from any advisor approved TECH or ENGR courses (6)
Business Minor (required for this major)
- BUS 20 or BUS 20N (3)
- BUS5 90 (3)
- BUS3 160 (3)
Complete one course from:
- BUS 141 or BUS 142 or BUS 145 (3)
University Electives (1)