Research Info for Students
Links for Students
In order to receive credit for some business courses, or for extra credit, students must complete a research requirement. Please see specific course syllabi for more details.
The research requirement can be met by participating in research studies approved by the university and listed on the COB-SONA website.
Students who do not wish to participate in research studies may write a brief review of two articles that appear in approved journals.
If you have any questions regarding any of these requirements, please contact the Research Pool Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research Experience Option 1: Participate in Studies
- There will be no experiments posted until February 16, 2017. Enrolled students will receive an email when the first experiment is posted.
- No studies will be posted after May 12, 2017. Your instructor determines the due date for completion of the requirement (typically sometime before finals begin).
- Research Opportunities will posted approximately every 2 weeks. THEY WILL HAVE LIMITED SLOTS AND WILL EXPIRE AFTER 7 DAYS.
- Students will be automatically granted accounts and account information sent to them at the address listed in MySJSU, by February 16, 2017.
- To complete the research participation option, you will need to use the SONA system to find experiments and complete them. The SONA url for the college of business is: http://cobsjsu.sona-systems.com
- Your LoginID is your SJSUID (without the preceding zeros). Your password is "enroll." You will be issued a separate SONA ID. Researchers only have access your SONA ID - so if you do not put in the correct SONA ID at the end of the studies, you will not receive credit.
- Credits will be given within 72 hours AFTER the participation DEADLINE for each study (which may be more than 72 hours after you personally completed the study).
- If you choose to participate in a study and you find the procedure objectionable, you can withdraw from the study at any time. You will not be penalized for your withdrawal and you will receive full credit for participation in that study.
Research Experience Option 2: Article Reviews
Article reviews must be submitted to the research coordinator by May 16, 2017.
If you do not wish to participate in research studies, you may write a brief review of TWO articles that appear in management journals. The management journals can be accessed, for free, from the SJSU library website.
The article review should be written in appropriate style, with an attempt to convince and persuade the audience. Each article review should include the following:
- The full citation in APA style.
- A summary of the main points including theories and hypotheses tested.
- A summary of the methods used to test the theories and hypotheses.
- A summary of the main findings.
- An evaluation of the contribution of the article to the field of management and organizational behavior. This evaluation should take into consideration: the conceptual rigor, the methodology (if applicable), and the conclusions. Communicate your evaluation convincingly and persuasively.
- Accurate grammar and spelling.
- Be sure to include your name, Student ID, instructor, class course and section ID when submitting your article reviews.
- Each review should be approximately 3 pages in length, double-space typed, 12pt Times Roman font, 1inch margins on all sides. A title page is NOT necessary.
Information about articles
Acceptable journals may include:
- Academy of Management Journal
- Academy of Management Review
- Journal of Organizational Behavior
- Harvard Business Review
- Journal of Management
- Leadership Quarterly
- Human Relations
- Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes
More information about a list of acceptable journals, can be obtained from the Research Coordinator.
How to submit
If you decide to complete the Article Review option instead of the Research Experience option, you must contact the research coordinator, make your decision known, and submit article reviews to the coordinator at email@example.com by the deadline.
These article reviews are subject to all the requirements of Academic Honesty as other assignments for your classes. See the Judicial Affairs website at http://www2.sjsu.edu/senate/plagarismpolicies.htm and your course syllabus for definitions of Academic Dishonesty, Cheating, and Plagiarism.