Approved Technical Electives for Chemical Engineering (ChE) Graduate Students
- At least one elective must be a 200 level course.
- At least 2 electives must be 100 or 200 level BCME courses.
- Per university policy, required transition courses and program of study courses can not be used as electives.
- Per university policy, you may not have more than 9 units of 100 level courses that count towards your MS degree.
- 100W and 200W can not be used as technical electives.
If you have questions, contact your advisor.
Approved Technical Electives
Students should be aware that some of the listed courses require prerequisites which would not normally be taken by ChE students. Students must talk to the instructor of courses for which they do not have the prerequisite in order to determine if the course would be appropriate for that particular student to take. Please be aware of the work load of each particular course before enrolling in it.
You can not take an undergraduate course as an elective if you have already had a similar course as part of your undergraduate degree.
- ChE 192 Introduction to Biochemical Engineering - 3 units
- ChE 194 Biochemical Engineering Lab - 3 units
- ChE 293 Bioinformatics - 3 units
- MatE 175 Biomaterials and Biomedical Devices - 3 units
- Biol 107 Immunology - 3 units
- Biol 115 Genetics - 4 units
- Biol 135L Molecular Cell Biology Lab - 2 units
- Biol 255M Bioinfomatics - 2 units)
- BME 177 Physiology for Engineers - 3 units
- Chem 130A Biochemistry - 4 units
- Chem 131A Biochemistry Lab - 2 unit
- Chem 134 Recombinant DNA Methods - 4 units)
- Chem 135 General Biochemistry - 4 units
- Chem 232 Nucleic Acids - 3 units
- Chem 235 Biochemical Separation Methods - 3 units
Environmental Engineering / Green Engineering
- ChE 174 Hazardous Materials - 3 units
- ChE 177 Combustion and Air Pollution Sources
- ChE 210 Environmental Principles and Calculations - 2 units)
- ChE 261 Environmental Laboratory - 2 units)
- CE 274 Wastewater Treatment and Plant Design - 3 units
- CE 279 Special Topics in Environmental Engineering - 3 units
- ME 170 Solar Energy Engineering - 3 units
- ME 172 OR Eng 102 Alternative and Renewable Energy Engineering - 3 units
- EnvS 170 Intro to EH&S - 3 units
- Envs 124 Introduction to Environmental Law OR Envs 125 Advanced Environmental Law - 3 units
- Geol 138 Hydrogeology - 4 units
- HS 265 Environmental Health - 3 units
- Micr 122 Environmental Microbiology
- Metr 131 Air Pollution Meteorology - 1-3 units
- Biol 137 Introduction to Principles Toxicology - 3 units
- ISE 114 Safety Engineering - 3 units
- ISE 210 Human Factors/Enginomics - 3 units
- MatE 129 - IC Processing and Design OR MatE 169 - MEMS Fabrication OR ChE 166 - Advanced Thin Film Processes
- MatE 153 Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Prop. of Materials OR MatE 215 Solid State Materials Engineering
- MatE 260 Theory of Semiconductor Materials - 3 units
- MatE 220 Applications in Electrochemistry - 3 units
- MatE 270 Chemical Methods of Thin Film Deposition OR ChE 166 Advanced Thin Film Processes
- MatE 232 Plasma Processing of Materials - 3 units
ChE grad students can use most 100 or 200 level MatE course as an elective. Some specific courses that may be of interest are:
- MatE 297 Principles of Nanomaterials - 1-4 units
- MatE 115 Structure & Properties of Solids - 3 units
- MatE 185 Ceramics - 3 units
- MatE 186 Polymers - 3 units
- MatE 135 Composites - 3 units
- MatE 141 Structure and Analysis of Materials - 3 units
- MatE 143 Principles of Scanning Electron Microscopy - 1 unit
- MatE 144 X-ray Diffraction - 1 unit
- MatE 145 Principles of Surface Probe Microscopy - 1 unit
- Chem 270 Polymer Chemistry OR Chem 173 Polymer Chemistry - 3 units
- Chem 272 Addition Polymerization - 3 units
- Chem 273 Condensation Polymerization - 2 units
- Chem 277 Analytical Polymer Chemistry - 3 units
- ME 230 - Advanced Engr. Analysis OR ME 270 Computational Fluid Dynamics OR ME 273 Finite Element Analysis
- Engr 203 Engineering Management OR BUS 160 Fund of Management Behavior
- ISE 135 Design of Experiment or ISE 202 Design and Analysis of Eng Experiments
- MatE 297, ChE 297 Special Topics You can take these as an elective more than once, as long as the topic is different.