Approved Technical Electives for Chemical Engineering (ChE) Graduate Students

General Policy

  • At least one elective must be a 200 level course.
  • At least 2 electives must be 100 or 200 level BCME courses.
  • Per university policy, required transition courses and program of study courses can not be used as electives.
  • Per university policy, you may not have more than 9 units of 100 level courses that count towards your MS degree.
  • 100W and 200W can not be used as technical electives.

If you have questions, contact your advisor.

Approved Technical Electives

Students should be aware that some of the listed courses require prerequisites which would not normally be taken by ChE students. Students must talk to the instructor of courses for which they do not have the prerequisite in order to determine if the course would be appropriate for that particular student to take. Please be aware of the work load of each particular course before enrolling in it.

You can not take an undergraduate course as an elective if you have already had a similar course as part of your undergraduate degree.


Environmental Engineering / Green Engineering


Materials Science

ChE grad students can use most 100 or 200 level MatE course as an elective. Some specific courses that may be of interest are:

Other Electives