The Department of Biological Sciences Mission Statement:
As leaders in the education of a highly trained and diverse scientific workforce, our mission is to provide a dynamic educational experience by engaging students in hands-on, inquiry-based learning activities at the bench and in the field. Through these experiences our students will gain a conceptual and experiential understanding of the biological sciences spanning from molecules to ecosystems.
Our Program Goals:
• Serve the diverse student population of our region.
• Educate students to be intellectually agile and technologically proficient.
• Provide students with intensive, rigorous laboratory and field experiences within the context of their regular coursework.
• Create individualized mentoring opportunities and state-of-the-art learning experiences within the context of our faculty research programs.
• Foster creativity, a sound theoretical foundation, and the ability to communicate effectively and interact cooperatively.
• Make substantial contributions to the scientific community through our research efforts and that of our students.