About Waivers

  • The waiver programs only cover State Support courses and not Self Support courses.
  • The College of International and Extended Studies (CIES) offers Self Support courses: Summer One, Special Session and Open University for fall, winter, spring and summer terms. Those courses would not be eligible for a fee waiver.
  • There are three State Support programs for summer. They are the MBA, Education (Credential) and EDD (doctorate) programs. 

Tuition and Fee Waiver Programs

Alan Patee Fee Waiver Program

Qualifying children and surviving spouses/registered domestic partners of deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employees who were California residents and who were killed in the course of law enforcement or fire suppression duties may qualify for this fee waiver. According to the Alan Pattee Scholarship Act, Education Code Section 68120, students are not charged systemwide fees (SUF), and are only responsible for campus fees. Contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office at 408-924-6095 for more information.

911 Survivor Fee Waiver Program

Qualifying students enrolled in an undergraduate program who are the surviving dependent of any individual killed in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon building in Washington, D.C., or the crash of United Airlines Flight 93 in southwestern Pennsylvania, and if the student meets the financial need requirements and either the surviving dependent or the individual killed in the attacks was a resident of California on September 11, 2001. Contact the Office of Registrar at 283-7500 for more information.

California Nonresident Tuition Exemption (AB540)

Any student, other than a non-immigrant alien, who meets all of the criteria listed below, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges, the California State University and the University of California (all public colleges and universities in California).


  • The student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three (3) or more years.
  • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term (for example, passing the GED or California High School Proficiency exam).
  • An alien student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

Contact the Office of Registrar at 283-7500 for more information or at California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption.

Cal Vet Fee Waiver Program

Under the California Education Code, dependents of veterans whose death or disability was service-connected may be eligible for exemption from many SJSU fees for the Spring and Fall semesters only (Summer and Winter Sessions not included). Applications and information are available from your county Veterans' Services Office. Fill out the Cal Vet Fee Waiver form and send it in to the County Veterans Service Office. You should do this once a year, usually after taxes are done on April 15th. Contact the College Fee Waiver Program - Calvet for more information.

Faculty Fee Waiver Program

Faculty Fee Waivers are processed for the Spring and Fall semesters only (Summer and Winter Sessions are not included). This program for faculty and their dependents has different eligibility requirements, deadlines, and uses different forms from Staff Fee Waiver participants. Contact the Office of Faculty Affairs at 924-2450 for more information.

Staff Fee Waiver Program

There are three types of staff fee waivers: Job related, career development and dependent fee waiver. This program allows eligible staff employees (and their dependents) to attend California State University (CSU) courses at reduced rates. Staff fee waivers are processed for the spring and fall semesters only, and for the State Supported summer programs noted above. Winter self-support sessions are not included.

The program is designed to assist employees in improving current job skills or in preparing for a new career. Courses are taken for credit, and the program does not apply to Open University, Professional Development Center, or Special Session courses. Eligible Staff include all full-time or part-time permanent staff, all full-time probationary staff, and all full-time Management Personnel Plan and Confidential employees. Employees can take either two courses or six units, depending on their job classification. Please see the Human Resources website at Tuition and Fee Waiver for more information or call 408.924.2250. You may also view the Staff Waiver Table to determine the amount that is covered depending on your job classification and what you may be responsible to pay.