About Us FAQs
Got Questions? We Can Help!
Sometimes it's challenging to figure out what services are available and who to talk to on such a large campus! The Career Center is dedicated to quality customer service. We are always happy to help you find what you need. Here are some frequently asked questions:
- Can you tell me more about how to find a job or an internship? What about a job on campus or work-study jobs?
- How important is it to do an internship?
- I'm taking the semester off but plan on returning next semester. Can I access your service at no cost?
- Who can I talk to about my major or what classes to take?
- Where can I find San José State University's openings for staff positions?
- What is the average salary that an San José State University student can expect to receive upon graduation?
- What if I have additional questions? Where do I go for help?
1. Can you tell me more about how to find a job or an internship? What about a job on campus or work-study jobs?
Check out SpartaJobs first. Our 24/7 job bank lists part-time jobs on and off campus, seasonal and full-time employment opportunities as well as internships with really cool for profit and non-profit organizations from Silicon Valley to across the globe. It also includes work-study jobs for those students with Work Study Clearances awarded by the San José State University Financial Aid Office.
2. How important is it to do an internship?
An internship is an important aspect of your education in today's competitive market. Internships serve as an opportunity for you to get "real-world" training in their field. An internship is a great way to get an inside glimpse of a company, an industry, and a particular occupation. It can help clarify whether or not a particular field is a good match for you. In addition, employers expect candidates to have multiple internships on their Resumes by the time they graduate. Many employers offer internships to students of sophomore to senior standing.
3. I'm taking the semester off but plan on returning for the next semester. Can I access your services at no cost?
All SJSU Campus Community have access to our self-help services by purchasing an Annual Career Center Membership for $25. Fees are non-refundable, non-transferrable, and are not pro-rated. The membership will be valid for one calendar year and includes access to job search resources, job-oriented events, and more.
4. Who can I talk to about my major or what classes to take?
While the Career Center cannot recommend classes you should take, we are glad to help you decide on a major or career goal. Stop by the Career Center, or check out our resources on the web, including the Exploring Majors & Careers, Self-Assessment, and What Can I Do With My Major.
- If you are undeclared, talk to a GE adviser in the Academic Advising & Retention Services
- If you need advising for a specific major or department, visit your college’s success center and set up an appointment with an academic adviser in your major or department.
5. Where can I find SJSU's openings for staff positions?
The Human Resources Department handles staff and faculty positions for San Jose State University.
6. What is the average salary that an SJSU student can expect to receive upon graduation?
Questions surrounding salary are one of the most frequently asked questions in the job search process. Please refer to the Career Center Salary Survey which examines salaries for SJSU students specifically.
7. What if I have additional questions? Where do I go for help?
Contact the Career Center at email@example.com for answers to career-related concerns.