College of Humanities and the Arts
74% of employers recommend a liberal arts education to prepare for success.
College of Humanities and Arts/Social Sciences Liaison
Lynn (Chang) Lewis | firstname.lastname@example.org
M.A. in Counselor Education, B.A. in Psychology and Graphic Design
Summer '17 Advising Hours
6/5 - 8/31, Closed 7/4
Open to all currently enrolled students and recent graduates through June 30, 2017.
- Tuesdays 10 - 11:30 AM in ADM 154/255
Log onto SJSU Handshake to make an appointment.
Can't make these times? Check our general drop in hours and appointments here.
Resources by Major
Check out our resources by major for information on where SJSU students and alumni work, common career tracks, job and internship sites, resume samples, and job search tips!
- Art and Art History
- English and Comparative Literature
- Department of World Languages and Literatures
- Humanities/Liberal Studies/Creative Arts
- Linguistics and Language Development
- Television, Radio, Film and Theatre
One of your greatest advantages of being a liberal arts major is that you are able to apply your skills to a diverse range of careers. Not only do you possess the skills that employers are looking for, but your coursework in the liberal arts allows you to best articulate those skills in a resume, cover letter, or LinkedIn profile. Some of the skills you learn include how to:
- Analyze from multiple perspectives
- Target research to find accurate information
- Concisely communicate necessary information
- Influence diverse groups of people
- Understand and meet people’s needs at various levels
- Synthesize large amounts of data into important key themes
- Recognize and break barriers
Target your applications by applying these key skills directly to the position you are applying for. Ask yourself “How can I add value to this company?” For example, through learning about humanities, you are able to recognize cultural influences throughout history and apply them to break down barriers for minority populations. Then, back up these statements with examples of how you would do so for the company, or how you have solved a similar problem in previous experience or coursework. By utilizing the skills you are best at, you will sure be on your way to success!