Partner with the Career Center
We are happy to partner with faculty and staff to support our students’ success. We offer a variety of innovative career preparation resources that can support developed curriculum as assignments or class activities.
Our mission is to help students become self-aware of the knowledge and skills acquired through their academics at SJSU and to complement this knowledge with experiences outside of the classroom, ultimately leading them to become career ready and realize their aspirations. Here are some ways that we can support you:
1. Workshop requests and in class demonstrations:
Each of our career counselors has a graduate degree in career/educational counseling, specialized training in instructional design, and/or specific industry experience with the career areas they represent. If you'd like to have one our career counselors visit your class to discuss career related topics, please complete this workshop request form (allow 48 hours for confirmation) or contact Anita Manuel, Associate Director (email@example.com) with any questions.
2. Connect your students to employment resources and events:
In addition to career edcuation, we also offer many employer connection events for students, individual career coaching, drop-in advising, and job/internship opportunties. Here are some of the most shared resources that might benefit your students:
- Our Career Center commercial (1 minute)
- SJSU Handshake to find jobs and internships related to their interest areas and major
- Our Program Calendar to connect with our workshops, events, and coaching hours
- Our Career Readiness Roadmap to identify key resources and activities based on common topics and in developmental order
- Career Outcomes data by college and statistics to build career awareness and pathways
3. Participate in the Spartan Career Readiness Program
The Spartan Career Readiness Program is a comprehensive, three tier career preparation initiative (online course, passport program, career management tools) which offers digital resources, transferable skill building activities, and access to internship & career opportunities to help Spartans:
- Identify their core strengths, interests and values
- Understand how to build 21st century skills
- Learn to apply design thinking principles to personal career management
- Confidently launch their careers upon graduation
Canvas Course (non-unit bearing)
Your Journey to Career Readiness
This online curriculum (non-credit bearing) is based on career development and design theories. It is intended to be easily accessible to faculty, staff, and students (via CANVAS) to share career education modules that support “career readiness." Educators are welcome to access the modules, share with their students or include as assignments.
Method: There are four modules which review fundamentals of self-assessment, transferable skills building, and job and internships search. They can be completed on your own schedule and pace (approx. 4 hours to complete full course and exercises).
- Module 1: Explore Your Options (intro video)
- Module 2: Build Experience before You Graduate (intro video)
- Module 3: Launch Your Career (intro video)
- Module 4: Next Steps
Contact: Anita Manuel, Associate Director (firstname.lastname@example.org) for access.
Your Roadmap to Career Success
- Develop the skills and experiences needed to land a job or internship in your field of interest by completing the listed activities on the career roadmap: explore, build experience, launch.
- One semester to finish the assigned career activities and receive certificate of
completion, t-shirt, and raffle prizes.
Your Career Management Systems
Make the job-search process easier by using the latest digital tools for career management:
- SJSU Handshake: Career coaching appointments, job and internship database/application system, career events calendar & registration
- Focus2: Self-assessment reports, career/industry research, action plan
- Big Interview: Virtual mock interview system
- GoinGlobal: International job and internship portal
- Career Guides: Resume & Cover Letters, Job & Internship Search, Interviewing
- VMock: *Coming Soon!* Resume builder and review system
- Mentoring App: *Coming Soon!* Professional and campus mentoring system
Have questions, suggestions, or resources for students? We are always looking to work with faculty and staff to best serve our students. Feel free to contact us with any collaboration requests. Additionally, please share with us your best practices around career-related activities. We’d love to receive your feedback!