Partner with the Career Center
We are happy to partner with faculty and staff to support our students’ success. We offer a variety of innovative career preparation resources that can support developed curriculum as assignments or class activities.
Here are some ways that we can support you:
1. Workshop requests and in class demonstrations:
Each of our career counselors has a graduate degree in career/educational counseling, specialized training in instructional design, and/or specific industry experience with the career areas they represent. If you'd like to have one our career counselors visit your class to discuss career related topics, please complete this workshop request form (allow 48 hours for confirmation) or contact Anita Manuel, Associate Director (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
2. Connect your students to employment resources and events:
In addition to career education, we offer many employer connection events for students, individual career coaching, drop-in advising, and job/internship opportunities. Here are some of the most shared resources that might benefit your students:
- Our Career Center commercial (1 minute)
- SJSU Handshake to find jobs and internships related to their interest areas and major
- Handouts for Educators to share with your students
- Program Calendar to connect with our workshops, events, and coaching hours
- Career Outcomes data by college and statistics to build career awareness and pathways
3. Participate in the Spartan Career Readiness Program
The Spartan Career Readiness Program is a comprehensive, three tier career preparation initiative (online course, badge program, career management tools) which offers digital resources, transferable skill building activities, and access to internship & career opportunities to help Spartans:
- Identify their core strengths, interests and values
- Understand how to build 21st century skills
- Learn to apply design thinking principles to personal career management
- Confidently launch their careers upon graduation
Canvas Course & Badge Program (non-unit bearing)
Your Journey to Career Readiness
This online curriculum is based on career development and design theories. It is intended to be easily accessible to faculty, staff, and students (via CANVAS). At the completion of each online module, students who complete all activities are eligible for a Career Readiness Badge (details below). Preview the course. To use individual handouts, see Handouts for Educators.
Method: There are four modules which review fundamentals of self-assessment, transferable skills building, and job and internships search. They can be completed on your own schedule and pace (approx. 5 hours to micro-learning and exercises).
- Module 1: Explore Your Options (intro video)
- Module 2: Build Experience before You Graduate (intro video)
- Module 3: Launch Your Career (intro video)
- Module 4: Next Steps
Contact: Anita Manuel, Associate Director (email@example.com) for access.
Career Readiness Badges
Your Roadmap to Career Success
- Develop the skills and experiences needed to land a job or internship in your field of interest by completing the listed activities on the career roadmap: explore, build experience, launch.
- Skills practiced include: Oral/written communication, critical thinking, design thinking, and career management
- One semester to finish the assigned career activities and claim badge
- Certificate of Completion and Hex Badge Sticker (jpeg for social media)
- Fast Pass Access to select Career Fairs (undergraduate only)
- Raffle prizes for each badge
Career Center Apps
Your Career Management Systems
Make the career-development process easier by using the latest apps for career management:
- SJSU Handshake: Career coaching appointments, job and internship database/application system, career events calendar & registration
- Focus2: Self-assessment reports, career/industry research, action planning
- SJSU² Mentoring & Meetups - Connects students with alumni for career mentoring
- VMock: Resume builder and review system
- Big Interview: Virtual mock interview system
- GoinGlobal: International job and internship portal
- Career Guides: Resume & Cover Letters, Job & Internship Search, Interviewing
Have questions, suggestions, or resources for students? We are always looking to work with faculty and staff to best serve our students. Feel free to contact us with any collaboration requests. Additionally, please share with us your best practices around career-related activities. We’d love to receive your feedback!