How to Utilize the Career Center
We are happy to partner with faculty to support our students’ success. We offer a variety of innovative resources that can support developed coursework or be integrated into your curriculum as a homework assignment or class activity.
Our mission is to help students become self-aware of the knowledge and skills acquired through their academics at SJSU (University Learning Goals) and to complement this knowledge with experiences outside of the classroom, ultimately leading them to realize their career aspirations. We also help students learn how to articulate and demonstrate their professional brand to future employers through resumes, interview preparation, portfolio development, and networking opportunities.
Promote Our Resources to Your Students
- Our Career Center commercial: “Sammy Goes To Work” (2 minutes)
- SJSU Handshake to find jobs and internships related to their interest areas and major
- Our Program Calendar to connect with our workshops, events, and coaching hours
- Our SpartaTrack Career Plan to identify key resources and activities based on common topics and in developmental order
- Our website and online resources:
Request a Classroom Presentation
We would be happy to speak with your class! Please submit the workshop request form and we will respond as soon as possible. We also offer our workshops online through pre-recorded webshops and virtual workshops via WebEx. You may assign your students to view these workshops at any time.
Here are some guidelines/expectations:
- A two-week lead time prior to the requested date is required
- One request per class is allowed (contact us if you have multiple sections)
- At least 20 students expected to attend
- Requests are filled on a first-come, first-served basis
- Our staff may not be available for presentations two weeks prior to our job fairs (see our program calendar for dates)
Common presentation topics include:
- Overview of Career Center Services
- Exploring Majors/Careers
- Job/Internship Search Tips and Resources
- Networking/Job Fair Success
- LinkedIn & Social Media in the Job Search
- Resumes/Cover Letters
- Interviewing Tips
- Professionalism in the Workplace
Presentations can be tailored. Please specify on form what you would like customized.
Integrate Career Education into Your Curriculum
Whether you are teaching a 100W, First Year Experience or Senior Capstone course, we are happy to help support your curriculum with career-related materials and resources. Common integration has included assignments related to resume writing, self-assessment and career exploration activities, personal branding (LinkedIn/Social Media/Portfolios), infusion of preparatory videos/presentations on various career topics, and transferable skills discussions.
Collaborate with Us
Cross-promote your career-related events, courses, or groups through our:
- Bi-monthly newsletter to students
- Facebook page
- Presentations and drop-in hours if relevant to students
Contribute to our resources and services by:
- Relaying our job/internship sites, tips, and resources to our Resources by Major section
- Directing employers to us for recruiting services
- Professional development opportunities for students
- Student needs for specific populations
Have questions, suggestions, or resources for students? We are always looking to work with faculty and staff to best serve our students. Feel free to contact us with any collaboration requests. Additionally, please share with us your best practices around career-related activities. We’d love to receive your feedback!