Job Fairs: Employer Tips for Success
To help you get the most out of our job fair, we have created a few quick tips for success:
- Student Engagement – Greeting students with a smile and welcoming demeanor will encourage engagement with you at the fair. Some employers find it helpful to stand in front of their tables in order to connect more easily with students.
- Student Encouragement – Recognize that students are both eager and anxious at job fairs. You can assist with the education process by offering words of support or encouragement to help ease the job and internship search anxiety and leave a positive image of your organization in their minds.
- Job Market Information – Share your insights about the future with students, particularly if your organization or industry is growing or anticipates a positive outlook.
- Meeting Freshmen and Sophomores – We encourage our freshman and sophomore students to attend the fair to gain an understanding of the event and learn directly from employers how they can position themselves for internships. Share your tips and recommendations regarding experiences students can gain through leadership or other activities that help them develop the skills needed for success in today’s job market.
- Managing Long Lines – High student traffic can be managed by creating multiple lines divided by manager, major and/or position type, i.e., internship vs. career position. You may also consider speaking with students in groups, particularly toward the end of the event.