The Career Center is pleased to partner with faculty to support our students’ success. We offer a variety of innovative resources that can support developed coursework, or that can be integrated in to your curriculum as a homework assignment or a class activity.
I want to:
- Support students with resume/cover letter development
- Have my students prepare and practice interviewing
- Encourage my students to attend and prepare for the job fair
- Help my students identify career fields of interest, as well as develop a job search plan
- Utilize self assessment exercises to help students make the most of their major
- Assist my students in learning about internship opportunities, and how to connect to them
- Help my students understand how to use and connect to Career Center services
- Support my assignments with Career Center handouts
- Request a workshop or speak with a consultant about integrating career-related materials into my curriculum
- View positions posted on Spartajobs recruiting my students
- Refer an employer to a Career Center liaison for follow up
- See where students are going to work after they graduate
Career Toolkits & On-line Workshops
Utilize our 8-minute resume tutorial and samples to help your students begin their resume development! Assign the Resume Webshop as homework and as a second step, encourage students to take advantage of our resume drop-in sessions to work on refining their resume in a group setting.
Note: Resume drop-in is conducted on a first come, first served basis.
Our popular Interviewing Webshop Series is broken into three 8-minute videos. Assign this webshop to help students learn the basics of interview preparation and follow up. Pair this webshop with Big Interview-our online mock interview tool-to give students an opportunity to fine tune their interviewing skills.
Employers consistently comment on how well prepared our students who utilize this resource are. Promoting the fair to your students or helping them to prepare? Encourage them to take advantage of the Job Fair Success Webshop which shows students how to prepare to put their best foot forward at the job fair, and present themselves to employers.
Teaching a senior seminar or capstone class? Help your students identify jobs of interest and develop a job search plan by assigning them our Job Search Toolkit as an ongoing homework assignment. This step-wise resource helps students:
- Think about what skills they have to offer and how they would like to market them
- Identify career fields, industries and specific positions of interest
- Locate employers and resources to help them with their search
- Develop a plan A, B and C for their job search
- Begin to develop a professional network
Working with a frosh or sophomore class and interested in helping them assess their skills, strengths or values? Want to help them to make the most out of their time here at SJSU? The “Getting to Know Yourself” section of our website offers exploration activities and assessments that help students gain self-understanding as it relates to their majors and the world of work. These resources help students:
- Identify and understand how individual skills, strengths, likes, and abilities relate to academic/career satisfaction and success.
- Strategies and techniques on how to effectively explore majors and careers
- Strategies on how to maximize a chosen major and thrive while at SJSU
- Get connected to SJSU resources to promote engagement within the Spartan Community
Are your students curious about how to use the Career Center or how our services can benefit them? Do they want to understand more about what services we have to offer? Assign them to view “Jessica’s Success Story”. Jessica’s story follows an SJSU student through her journey with the Career Center, and how she used our services.
All of our handouts from major exploration to job search in one location. Use these resources to support
class assignments including interview preparation, portfolio development and more.
Integrate career related theories and real world activities to support your current curriculum. Work with a career consultant to include employment and economic trends, as well as self-exploration activities into your coursework. Contact your college specialist for a consultation or a workshop request.
Increase the value of an SJSU degree by encouraging students to report their job and internship search success in our salary and employment survey.
SpartaJobs access for faculty/staff is currently in progress during Summer 2016. If you'd like to know what job/internship opportunities are currently available on SpartaJobs, please contact the Career Center at email@example.com.
Have your Career Center liaison follow up with employers who have contacted you with recruitment, outreach, or candidate
Don’t see what you are looking for? Have questions?
Contact us at 408-924-6031 to be connected with a member of the Career Center team.