The path to the right career can be complex and filled with lots of variables. It's never too early to start thinking about your interests, values, and personality which can help you to choose your desired major and career interest area.
Keep track of your development progress with our Student Career Planning Guide.
Getting to Know Yourself
Take some time to define your core values, personality, preferences, interests, strengths and skills. Learn about how the core aspects of your identity can help you shape your career.
Choosing a Major at SJSU
If you haven’t decided on a major yet, here are some resources and tips to help you narrow down your choices. After exploring majors, be sure to continuing reading to see how your major can help you pursue your desired career.
- Look at the list of majors at SJSU, read the course descriptions. See what major and classes interest you.
- Use this Major Decision Handout for relevant resources to help you narrow down your Major options before meeting with an advisor or career counselor.
- All majors teach transferable skills that can be used across careers. Review the career interest areas and make an appointment with the designated career counselor for more information.
Learn about potential career paths related to your major.
- What Can I Do with My Major: Learn about common career paths and the types of employers that hire people with each major, as well as strategies to make you a more marketable candidate.
- O*Net: O*NET OnLine has detailed descriptions of the world of work for use by job seekers, workforce development and HR professionals, students, researchers, and more!
- Read Making the Most of Your Major for additional tips and strategies to enhance your degree and become more marketable as a professional.
Making Major/Career Decisions
Have you already decided on the career path that you want to pursue? If you are still feeling stuck in making a decision, check out the following suggestions:
- Gather and review all information that you have collected on careers and majors. Keep an open-mind to all possibilities.
- Reflect on self-assessment results and map out what skills, interest, values and strengths you would like to pursue in a career.
- Review the listing of SJSU majors and the career interest area handout. Think about the courses that most appeal to you, and what you feel you can academically be successful in.
- Some majors are impacted, so it is very important for you to make an appointment with the major department academic advisor for eligibility information.
- If you are still feeling lost, make an appointment with a counselor to review your major/career options. If you are undeclared, please complete the Major Decision Worksheet to identify your top 3 majors and bring this worksheet to your appointment.
Explore Careers Interest Areas
Career Interest Areas Handout: Find information about common majors and jobs in each area.
Need additional help? Career Counselors are available to help you in your major or career decision, build a stronger resume, prepare for interviews, and more.
Office Hours held in the Career Center, Admin. Building, Room 154 or Room 255 (accessible entrance)
Appointments: Mondays, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm (made through SJSU Handshake)
Drop-In Hours: Thursdays, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm (first come, first serve)
Undeclared Drop-In Hours at AARS, Student Services Center:
Tuesdays, 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm (first come, first serve)