Choose a Major at SJSU
Choosing a major can be an intimidating process. There are so many options and you might have limited information on how your major can get you going in the career path you would like to follow. It's important to know that all majors are employable - there is no 'right' or 'wrong' major - and we are here to help you navigate the process!
Explore Majors at SJSU
SJSU offers more than 134 bachelor's and master's degrees with 110 concentrations. With over 134 bachelor's and master's degrees offered, it is no secret that choosing a major is a process that takes time.
Major and Career - Myths and Facts
- A college major alone is not enough to prepare you for a career. Experience gained during college (i.e., internships, volunteer work, extracurricular activities) is critical to develop transferable skills imperative for competitive employment.
- Transferable skills are the foundation of many careers. All majors teach transferable skills that can be used across careers which is one reason you may see job listings with 'all majors' selected.
- It is estimated that between 50-80% of college graduates will work outside of their major field of study.
Steps to Choosing Your Major
Below are some questions that you can ask yourself while you are trying to determine what major is a good fit for you: If you are not sure how to answer some of these questions, start with learning more about yourself to find out how to identify your likes, skills, interests, and strengths.
- Which classes did I enjoy in high school?
- Which courses have I been successful with in college and why?
- Which courses have been/were challenging in college/high school?
- What are my hobbies outside of school?
- What do I like to do in my spare time?
After you have assessed some of your interests, likes, and skills, start exploring the different majors that are offered at San José State University and read the course descriptions to learn more about the area of study and the classes that are offered. Once you have selected 3-5 majors of interest, identify:
- What about this major interests you?
- What will I study and learn in this major?
Tips and strategies to make the most of your time at San José State University.