Now that you have a list of majors that you are interested in exploring further, the resources below can help you to gather an understanding of potential career options:
- What Can I do with my Major: Learn about the typical career areas and the types of employers that hire people with each major, as well as strategies to make you a more marketable candidate
- Resources by Major: Gives information on specific job and internship websites, professional associations, and organizations at SJSU to help you get involved in your major.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: This database gives information on hundreds of occupations which include industry/job descriptions, salary, and growth data, and educational requirements for entry into the field.
- O*Net: O*NET OnLine has detailed descriptions of the world of work for use by job seekers, workforce development and HR professionals, students, researchers, and more!
- Emerging Markets: Emerging markets are industries with potential for growth of career opportunities. The Career Center identified six: Social Media,BioTech, Energy Management, 3D Printing, Health Care, and Green Industry.
- Once you've gathered information on majors or careers of interest, it's time to narrow down your choices. Select your top three choices and then review the following:
- Make a pros and cons list based on your top values (what's most important to you: e.g. salary requirements, location, time to graduation)
- Talk with family and friends about your decision
- Talk with faculty or staff that you trust
- Conduct informational interviews with people you know who have declared the major that you are interested in or who are working in the field that you would like to enter into.
- Come into the career center and meet with a counselor to review your options.