Personality Mosaic Exercise
This is an assessment of 90 questions that will help you identify your personality preferences and interests.
Circle the numbers of statements that clearly feel like something you might say or do or think – something that feels like you.
- It’s important for me to have a strong, agile body.
- I need to understand things thoroughly.
- Music, color, beauty of any kind can really affect my moods.
- People enrich my life and give it meaning.
- I have confidence in myself that I can make things happen.
- I appreciate clear directions so that I know exactly what to do.
- I can usually carry/build/fix things myself.
- I can get absorbed for hours thinking something out.
- I appreciate beautiful surroundings; color and design mean a lot to me.
- I love company.
- I enjoy competing.
- I need to get my surroundings in order before I start a project.
- I enjoy making things with my hands.
- It’s satisfying to explore new ideas.
- I always seem to be looking for new ways to express my creativity.
- I value being able to share personal concerns with people.
- Being a key person in a group is very satisfying to me.
- I take pride in being very careful about all the details of my work.
- I don’t mind getting my hands dirty.
- I see education as a lifelong process of developing and sharpening my mind.
- I love to dress in unusual ways, to try new colors and styles.
- I can often sense when a person needs to talk to someone.
- I enjoy getting people organized and on the move.
- A good routine helps me get the job done.
- I like to buy sensible things I can make or work on myself.
- Sometimes I can sit for long periods of time and work on puzzles, or just think about life.
- I have a great imagination.
- It makes me feel good to take care of people.
- I like to have people rely on me to get the job done.
- I’m satisfied knowing that I’ve done an assignment carefully and completely.
- I’d rather be on my own doing practical, hand-on activities.
- I’m eager to read about any subject that arouses my curiosity.
- I love to try creative new ideas.
- If I have a problem with someone, I prefer to talk it out and resolve it.
- To be successful, it’s important to aim high.
- I prefer being in a position where I don’t have to take responsibility for decisions.
- I don’t enjoy spending a lot of time discussing things. What’s right is right.
- I need to analyze a problem pretty thoroughly before I act on it.
- I like to rearrange my surroundings to make them unique and different.
- When I feel down, I find a friend to talk to.
- After I suggest a plan, I prefer to let others take care of the details.
- I’m usually content where I am.
- It’s invigorating to do things outdoors.
- I keep asking “why”.
- I like my work to be an expression of my moods and feelings.
- I like to find ways to help people care more for each other.
- It’s exciting to take part in important decisions.
- I’m always glad to have someone else take charge.
- I like my surroundings to be plain and practical.
- I need to stay with a problem until I figure out an answer.
- The beauty of nature touches something deep inside me.
- Close relationships are important to me.
- Promotions and advancement are important to me.
- Efficiency, for me, means doing a set amount carefully each day.
- A strong system of law and order is important to prevent chaos.
- Thought-provoking books always broaden my perspective.
- I look forward to seeing art shows, plays, and good films.
- I haven’t seen you for so long; I’d love to know how you’re doing.
- It’s exciting to influence people
- When I say I’ll do it, I follow through on every detail.
- Good, hard physical work never hurt anyone.
- I’d like to learn all there is to know about subjects that interest me.
- I don’t want to be like everyone else; I like to do things differently.
- Tell me how I can help you.
- I’m willing to take some risks to get ahead.
- I like exact directions and clear rules when I start something new.
- The first thing I look for in a car is a well-built engine.
- Those people are intellectually stimulating.
- When I’m creating, I tend to let everything else go.
- I feel concerned that so many people in our society need help.
- It’s fun to get ideas across to people.
- I hate it when they keep changing the system just when I get it all down.
- I usually know how to take care of things in an emergency.
- Just reading about those new discoveries is exciting.
- I like to create happenings.
- I often go out of my way to pay attention to people who seem lonely and friendless.
- I love to bargain.
- I don’t like to do things unless I’m sure they’re approved.
- Sports are important in building strong bodies.
- I’ve always been curious about the way nature works.
- It’s fun to be in a mood to try or do something unusual.
- I believe that people are basically good.
- If I don’t make it the first time, I usually bounce back with energy and enthusiasm.
- I appreciate knowing exactly what people expect of me.
- I like to take things apart to see if I can fix them.
- Don’t get excited. We can think it out and plan the right move logically.
- It would be hard to imagine my life without beauty around me.
- People often seem to tell me their problems.
- I can usually connect with people who get me in touch with a network of resources.
- I don’t need much to be happy.
Scoring Your Answers
To score, circle the same numbers that you circled on the Personality Mosaic.
Now add up the numbers of circles in each column:
R_____ I_____ A_____ S_____ E_____ C_____
What are your highest scores? Write them here:
1st_____ 2nd_____ 3rd_____
Search for career paths related to your three letter code in O*Net, a career information database.
Adapted from: Michelozzi, B.N. (1998). Coming Alive from nine to five: The career search handbook (3rd Edition). Mountain View, CA. Mayfield Publishing Company.