Preparing for the Interview
Interviews may occur at the employer's site, on the telephone, at a job fair, or over coffee. But no matter where they occur, preparation is the key to success.
- Know about the different types of interviews.
- Learn about what happens during the interview.
- Research the employer and analyze the job description.
- Prepare for the different types of interview questions.
- Write down your responses to common interview questions. Give examples during the interview. Utilize the STAR method to learn how to tell your story effectively.
- Read about appropriate interview attire and review tips for professional etiquette.
- Practice with someone to perfect your answers. Repetition will help you remember the core components to your answers.
- Be prepared to ask questions after the interview. Don't ask questions about benefits or compensation, save those for after you are offered the position.
- Here are examples:
- What do you like best about working here?
- What would a typical day look like?
- What would success look like after 3 months or 6 months in this position?
- What is the next step in the interviewing process?
Utilize our free online training tool known as Big Interview. The tool will help you practice with the ability to record and review your answers. Choose from dozens of interview sets and over 20 different industries/majors. Utilize nearly 40 lessons and learn all the best interviewing techniques to get you on track.
- Go to SJSU Big Interview (first time users will find instructions on how to register).
- If you are an Alumni Association member or registered member of the Career Center, email email@example.com or call our front desk for an access code to this resource.
- If you don't have a digital Webcam, you can use ours at the Career Center. Call us to reserve a time at (408) 924-6031.
- View this Big Interview explanation video to learn more.