Are you ready for the Career and Internship fair?
Here is a Quick Checklist
- Visit SpartaJobs regularly. Look for opportunities that align with your career goals. Search on both “Career Fair Postings” and “All Job Listings” to maximize your job search.
Target companies of interest.
- Research your top employers (size, location, and primary products, new products they may be working on, competitors, their industry and standing).
- Sign on to SpartaJobs for access to the Job Fair's Employer list! See who will be at the fair and what they’re recruiting for. The last employer list
will include the floor map so you can print it and strategize your time at the fair.
NOTE- Employers often comment about the need for candidates to complete this research at a minimum.
Prepare your Resume.
- Target your resumes to specific employers' needs and highlight strengths and accomplishments that support your career objectives. Don’t forget to customize your objective for each targeted employer and print out plenty of your general resumes to bring with you to the event. (No copying services will be available.)
- Utilize the resume Toolkit and Webshop on the Career Center website to give your resume a CompetitiveEdge! Then, have your resume critiqued at our Group Resume Review, or during Drop-In Hours.
Make a good first impression.
- Develop and practice your one-minute commercial that summarizes your career objectives, your qualifications and accomplishments.
Be able to describe the type of position you are seeking or the skills you would like
to use in the job.
NOTE - Keep in mind that this is simply a conversation starter, not a speech. Take a breath between ideas to see if the recruiter has a question for you.
- Dress to Impress – Plan to dress professionally and arrive well-groomed.
*NOTE - We recommend leaving your backpacks and skateboards at home, or in the trunk of your car, to avoid looking too busy. We do not have lockers or storage available at this event.
- Develop and practice your one-minute commercial that summarizes your career objectives, your qualifications and accomplishments. Be able to describe the type of position you are seeking or the skills you would like to use in the job.
**If you're a current student, you must have this semester's VTA sticker or a copy of your class schedule from MySJSU.
If you're an alumnus of SJSU but are not a current member of the center, purchase CareerCenter Membership before attending the event.
*NOTE- The Career Center will be closed on Wednesday, March 5th from 9:00am–1:00pm for job fair set up and on Thursday, March 6th from 9:00am–5:00pm, the day of the fair.