California Association for Employment in Education Teacher Fair Tips
Who can attend the California Association for Employment in Education (CAEE) fair?
- Candidates who already have their credential or who will be receiving their credential in spring/ summer of 2013.
- Candidates who will not be receiving their credentials until Fall 2013 or Spring 2014 can also attend the fair to network and get acquainted with the overall process of attending a teacher recruitment fair. Just be sure to indicate when you plan to receive your credential on your resume and when talking with recruiters at the fair.
Before the Fair:
Bring to the Fair:
- CAEE Admission Form, printed and completed (located on CAEE website)
- Student ID and/or SJSU credential program mentioned on resume (SJSU students enter the fair for free).
- Packets of information to give to school districts: Resume and three letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation should be from master teacher(s) and/or supervisor(s); preferably from individuals who have observed you teaching (keep original letters and make copies for fair.) You can also submit a cover letter but they are not required for this event.
- Packets should be stapled, and your name should be on each document in case they get separated. Resume should be on top, with letters attached in back (resume on top, followed by letters of recommendation).
- Indicate on your resume which grade(s) you want to teach and when you expect to receive your credential.
- You can tailor your resume to a specific school district, but it is not expected or required.
- A professional case to hold your documents and paper for note-taking (this can be purchased at Office Max or Kinko’s).
- Yourself in professional dress. Remember: it’s better to over dress than under dress!!!
During the Fair:
- Be yourself and demonstrate enthusiasm and confidence! A career fair can be intimidating and it’s normal to be nervous. Keep in mind that administrators want to hire confident individuals who have a passion for teaching and who will present themselves as strong and enthusiastic in the classroom.
- Collect business cards and make notes about conversations with administrators/ recruiters.
- Ask administrators what the hiring process is like in their district and what the next steps are and/or what you can do to follow up.
After the Fair:
- Send thank you notes to districts you talked with and re-iterate your interest and enthusiasm for a teaching position (handwritten notes are best, but email notes are acceptable too).
- Follow up with districts as appropriate.
**For additional fair success tips, please visit the CAEE website.