Why Research Employers?
- To identify employers for which you would like to work.
- To effectively market yourself as a candidate in resumes, and cover letters.
- To demonstrate genuine interest in an organization at job fairs and networking events.
- To shine in an interview by preparing good questions for the organization in advance as well as anticipating questions you may be asked.
What to Look For
- What are the organization’s services or products?
- How successful is the company or organization? What are their sales? Assets? Earnings? What has their growth pattern been like? What is their forecast of anticipated growth?
- What is the size of the company? How many employees do they have? What types of jobs exist with the employer?
- What are the objectives and philosophy of the organization?
- What is their location? How many locations are there? How long have they been established there?
- Who are their competitors?
- What are the names of key executives? Is the company publicly or privately owned?
- What is the general reputation of the organization?
- What are their major achievements? Have they been in the news lately?
Where to Research Employers
- LinkedIn - Search by company, as well as look for connections who work at a company of interest for informational interviews.
- Job Star: Researching Employers and Industries – Thousands of useful sites to research companies and industries.
- Silicon Valley Business Journal -Resource for business news in the Silicon Valley Area.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Library - Assistance with business research as well as a wide variety of industry-specific guides, publications, and websites. Need help with your research? Contact a reference librarian and make an appointment for assistance.
- San Jose Mercury News - Local, national, world, business, and technology news.
- Yahoo! Newspaper Directory – Newspaper links by region.
- Yahoo! Finance - Stock Reports, company updates, and other newsworthy industry information.
- Earnings Whispers - Provides the daily and weekly trades of companies.
For more information on how to research employers, check out our Research Employers webshop.