Facebook is a free social networking site where users can add friends, send them messages and update their personal profiles to notify friends about themselves. Users can also join networks organized by city, workplace, and school or college. It is a place to connect with people, send information, and ask questions.
To access the site go to www.facebook.com and create your account. Here are some helpful tips:
- Facebook company and business pages are great information sources for company news, updates, discussions, and connections.
- Set your privacy settings so that only friends can see your profile.
- Choose a profile photo that reflects your professional image when in job search mode.
- Start "liking" companies and organizations of interest. These companies' statuses will pop up in your homepage newsfeed, so you can easily track what's going on.
- Click "like" on relevant statuses or post comments with constructive feedback and opinions. Participate in discussions with other employees, so that the right people begin to get familiar with your name.
- Always interact in a professional manner. Avoid being blunt about asking for jobs, however, it is certainly appropriate to ask for information.
For more information about cleaning up your online profile and using social media to aid your job search, attend a Job Search 2.0 Workshop or review HowCast’s video tutorial.