Art and Art History
So I'm an Art/Art History Major, Now What?
The principle fields of study within the Art and Art History department include Art History and Visual Culture, Spatial, Pictorial, Digital Media Art, & Photography. Career opportunities within these disciplines can be found in the following fields: education, research, museums, archives, digital media, photography, advertising, art direction, art therapy, journalism, etc., that's just to name a few!
For more information regarding the majors and degrees offered within the Art and Art History Department visit their web page.
Where Do My People Work?
Common Career Tracks
- According to LinkedIn, SJSU art/art history majors commonly work in arts and design, entrepreneurship, and education. Common employers include Apple, Cisco, and Stanford University.
- Learn about the different career tracks on What Can I Do With My Major?
- Research job titles at O*Net - Career Information Database.
- Research job statistics at the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- View Best Jobs for Art Majors by Salary Potential.
- Interested in graduate school? View Payscale's Lifetime Earnings to see how years of experience vs. degree level influence average lifetime earnings.
- View the U.S. Census Bureau's Pathway After a Bachelor's Degree, which include common occupations and work-life earnings by degree level.
Where Do I Look for Opportunities?
Job, Internship, and Volunteer Opportunities
Check SJSU Handshake, SJSU's job and internship database exclusively for students.
General Job/Internship Boards
- Creative Hotlist
- Authentic Jobs
- AIGA Jobs
- Smashing Jobs
How Can I Get Involved?
- College Art Association
- National Art Education Association (NAEA)
- National Press Photographers Association
- Professional Photographers Association
How Can I Increase My Chances of Succeeding?
Job Search Tips
- Showcase your work on a free online portfolio such as Portfolium, Coroflot, Dribbble, or Behance.
- Research company reviews, salaries, interviews, & benefits on Glassdoor.
- Use the Art History Resume Sample or Digital Media Art Resume Sample as a guide to tailoring your resume.
- For more resources check out Design, Education, Journalism and Mass Communications, and Communications.