So I'm a Design Major, Now What?
The field of study within the Design Department are: Animation and Illustration, Graphic, Industrial, and Interior Design. Common career fields are: print design, electronic media design, 3D and 4D design, advertising, commercial/residential interior design, architecture, historic renovation/preservation, facilities engineering, animator, illustrator, product and product packaging.
For additional information regarding the Department of Design and associated majors please visit the program website.
Where Do My People Work?
Common Career Tracks
- According to LinkedIn, SJSU design majors commonly work in arts and design, engineering, and entrepeneurship. Common employers include Apple, Cisco, and Intel Corporation.
- Learn about the different career tracks on What Can I Do With My Major?
- Research job titles at O*Net - Career Information Database.
- Research job statistics at the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Interested in graduate school? View Payscale's Lifetime Earnings to see how years of experience vs. degree level influence average lifetime earnings.
- View the U.S. Census Bureau's Pathway After a Bachelor's Degree, which include common occupations and work-life earnings by degree level.
Where Do I Look for Opportunities?
Job, Internship, and Volunteer Opportunities
Check SJSU Handshake, SJSU's job and internship database exclusively for students.
General Job/Internship Boards
- Creative Hotlist
- Authentic Jobs
- AIGA Jobs
- Smashing Jobs
- Animation World Network
- Communication Arts
- Interior Design Jobs
How Can I Get Involved?
- DSC (Design Studies)
- NEO (Graphic Design)
- AIGA (Graphic Design)
- Shrukenheadman Club (Animation/Illustration)
- IDSA Club (Industrial Design)
- IDSO Club (Interior Design)
- UXA (User Experience Association)
- Society of Illustrators
- National Cartoonist Society
- American Institute of Graphic Artists
- American Society for Interior Designers
- Industrial Designers Society of America
- National Art Education Association (NAEA)
How Can I Increase My Chances of Succeeding?
Job Search Tips
- Interested in doing freelance work? Check out this guide on building a business.
- Showcase your work by creating a portfolio using website builders such as Wix, Weebly, Squarespace, or Wordpress.
- Upload your work on Portfolium, Coroflot, Dribbble, or Behance to build your network and get feedback.
- Connect with alumni by joining the LinkedIn SJSU Industrial Studies Alumni group.
- Research company reviews, salaries, interviews, & benefits on Glassdoor.
- Learn from Marithza's Success Story, a fellow SJSU animation/illustration student.
- Use the Graphic Design Resume/Cover Letter Sample or Animation/Illustration Resume Sample as a guide to tailoring your application materials.
- Check out TCG's infographic on the Hiring Climate for Creatives.
- Check out Hubstaff's infographic on How to Ace A Remote Interview.
- For more resources check out Education, Journalism and Mass Communications, Marketing and Decision Sciences, and Communications.