So I'm a Philosophy Major, Now What?
A degree in Philosophy prepares students for careers in fields like law, medicine, psychology, theology, education, research, business, communications, government and politics, social and community services, and graduate studies in philosophy.
For additional information about degree options in the Department of Philosophy please visit the department website.
Where Do My People Work?
Common Career Tracks
- According to LinkedIn, SJSU philosophy majors commonly work in education, entrepreneurship, and media and communication. Common employers include Apple, Stanford University, and Google.
- Learn about the different career tracks on What Can I Do With My Major?
- Research job titles at O*Net - Career Information Database.
- Research job statistics at the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Interested in graduate school? View Payscale's Lifetime Earnings to see how years of experience vs. degree level influence average lifetime earnings.
Where Do I Look for Opportunities?
Job, Internship, and Volunteer Opportunities
Check SJSU Handshake, SJSU's job and internship database exclusively for students.
General Job/Internship Boards
- USAJobs / Pathways Internships for Students/Recent Grads
- County of Santa Clara / Internships / Volunteer
- City of San Jose / Volunteer
- CA.gov (View List of Jobs by Major)
How Can I Get Involved?
How Can I Increase My Chances of Succeeding?
Job Search Tips
- Research company reviews, salaries, interviews, & benefits on Glassdoor.
- For more resources check out Social Work, Political Science, Journalism and Mass Communications, Communication Studies, and World Languages and Literatures.