So I'm a Political Science Major, Now What?
A degree in Political Science prepares students for careers in law, teaching, government service, legislative staffing, political consulting, interest group representation, international relations and business, as well as nonprofit. To learn more visit the Department of Political Science website.
Where Do My People Work?
Common Career Tracks
- According to LinkedIn, SJSU political science majors commonly work in education, operations, and legal. Common employers include the City of San Jose, Cisco, and the County of Santa Clara.
- Learn about the different career tracks on What Can I Do With My Major?
- Explore the 5 Career Tracks for Foreign Service Officers.
- Learn about the U.S. Department of State Internship Program.
- Learn about U.S. Intelligence Careers.
- Research job titles at O*Net - Career Information Database.
- Research job statistics at the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Interested in graduate school? View Payscale's Lifetime Earnings to see how years of experience vs. degree level influence average lifetime earnings.
Where Do I Look for Opportunities?
Job, Internship, and Volunteer Opportunities
Check SJSU Handshake, SJSU's job and internship database exclusively for students.
General Job/Internship Boards
- USAJobs / Pathways Internships for Students/Recent Grads
- County of Santa Clara / Internships / Volunteer
- City of San Jose / Volunteer
- CA.gov (View List of Jobs by Major)
- Capital Fellows Program
- Virtual Student Foreign Service
- State Department Internships
- California Judicial Branch
- Roll Call – Capital Hill Job Source
- Internships in D.C
- U.S. Intelligence Careers
How Can I Get Involved?
- Pre-Law Student Society
- Pi Sigma Alpha
- Model UN
- The National Honor Society for Public Affairs and Administration - Phi Alpha Alpha
How Can I Increase My Chances of Succeeding?
Job Search Tips
- Research company reviews, salaries, interviews, & benefits on Glassdoor.
- Connect with alumni by joining the LinkedIn SJSU Political Science Alumni group.
- Use the Political Science Resume Sample as a guide to tailoring your resume.
- Learn from Aryton's Success Story, a fellow SJSU political science student.
- For more resources check out History, Global Studies, Education, Foreign Languages, and Business.
- Visit our Drop-In Hours at ACCESS, the College of Social Science's Success Center.
- Attend workshops, job fairs, and other events as listed on our Program Calendar.