World Languages and Literatures
So I'm a World Languages and Literatures Major, Now What?
A degree in World Languages & Literatures prepares students for careers in teaching, translating, and interpreting, civil service, tourism, journalism, broadcasting, publishing, as well as international business and finance.
For additional information regarding the majors and degrees within the Department of World Languages and Literatures, please visit the department website.
Where Do My People Work?
Common Career Tracks
- According to LinkedIn, SJSU world languages majors commonly work in education, community and social services, and media and communications. Common employers include San Jose Unified School District, Apple, and Stanford University.
- Learn about the different career tracks on What Can I Do With My Major?
- Research job titles at O*Net - Career Information Database.
- Research job statistics at the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Where Do I Look for Opportunities?
Job, Internship, and Volunteer Opportunities
Check SJSU Handshake, SJSU's job and internship database exclusively for students.
General Job/Internship Boards
- Virtual Student Foreign Service
- U.S. Agency for International Development
- U.S. Department of State Internship Program
- USAJobs / Pathways Internships for Students/Recent Grads
- County of Santa Clara / Internships / Volunteer
- City of San Jose / Volunteer
- CA.gov (View List of Jobs by Major)
How Can I Get Involved?
- American Translators Association
- Teachers of English to Speakers of other Languages (TESOL)
- Modern Language Association
How Can I Increase My Chances of Succeeding?
Job Search Tips
- Research company reviews, salaries, interviews, & benefits on Glassdoor.
- Use the Spanish Resume Sample as a guide to tailoring your resume.
- View a list of Media and Public Relations Job Boards.
- Learn from Clemencia Fonseca, an SJSU world languages alum.
- For more resources check out Journalism and Mass Communication, Communication Studies, Education, Hospitality Recreation and Tourism Management, English, and Business.