International students have unique circumstances in terms of work authorization and employment eligibility. These circumstances relate to any kind of employment including jobs on-campus or off-campus including internships, part-time, and full-time jobs. Students need to refer to SJSU International Programs & Services for guidance on employment.
The International Programs and Services Office has useful information regarding working on and off campus. Once you understand the guidelines on employability related to your visa status, the Career Center has many resources to help you with your job search:
SpartaJobs - SJSU Job & Internship Database
- Register with the Career Center and create a SpartaJob account.
- View this video to learn how to update your OPT/CPT eligibility status on your SpartaJobs profile.
- Check it often for on-campus, off-campus, part-time, full-time and internship opportunities.
Resumes / Cover Letters
- Ensure your resume is polished, professional, targeted and up-to-date.
- Learn how to write an effective and targeted resume and cover letter.
- Be sure to review the International Student Resume Tips Webinar too.
- Prepare ahead of time! Review interview questions and guidelines.
- Practice your communication and interviewing skills with Big Interview - an online mock interviewing tool.
Workshops / Career Advising
- The Career Center offers a variety of workshops to assist in your job search preparedness.
- Come to the Career Center during posted hours for a resume critique or any of our other services.
- Check the calendar for dates and times.
Frequently Asked Questions
- More info to help your visa status for on-campus and off-campus opportunities.
- Finding Job Success in the United States.
Other International Resources:
- GoinGlobal - Useful resource for international students desiring work in the U.S.
- My Visa Jobs to find employers who submit for H1B visas.
- H-1B Visa Jobs and Sponsorship Portal to find advice about applying for H-1B and list of H-1B sponsors.
- American Chambers of Commerce Abroad to find a directory of American companies and individuals doing business in a particular country, as well as, firms and individuals of that country that operate in the United States.
- External Networking Resources - Make connections with other international job seekers and grow your hob search network.