International students have unique circumstances in terms of work authorization and employment eligibility. These circumstances relate to any kind of employment including jobs on-campus or off-campus including internships, part-time, and full-time jobs. Students need to refer to SJSU International Programs & Services for guidance on employment.
The International Programs and Services Office has useful information regarding working on and off campus. Once you understand the guidelines on employability related to your visa status, the Career Center has many resources to help you with your job search:
SpartaJobs - SJSU Job & Internship Database
- Register with the Career Center and create a SpartaJob account.
- View this video to learn how to update your OPT/CPT eligibility status on your SpartaJobs profile.
- Check it often for on-campus, off-campus, part-time, full-time and internship opportunities.
Resumes / Cover Letters
- Ensure your resume is polished, professional, targeted and up-to-date.
- Learn how to write an effective and targeted resume and cover letter.
- Be sure to review the International Student Resume Tips Webinar too.
- Prepare ahead of time! Review interview questions and guidelines.
- Practice your communication and interviewing skills with Big Interview - an online mock interviewing tool.
Workshops / Career Advising
- Come to the drop-in and appointment times hosted by the career counselor for international students.
- The Career Center offers a variety of workshops to assist in your job search preparedness. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Frequently Asked Questions
- More info to help your visa status for on-campus and off-campus opportunities.
- Finding Job Success in the United States.