- Be punctual and plan to arrive 15 minutes before your interview.
- Dress professionally as you are making a first and lasting impression.
- Avoid strong perfumes, eating strong smelling foods, and smoking before your interview
as some interviewers may be sensitive to scent.
- Establish and maintain eye contact with your interviewer.
- Practice having a firm handshake.
- Expect the interview to begin with direct questions or minimal small talk.
- Plan to answer direct questions about your goals, accomplishments, and strengths as
they relate to the position you are interviewing for.
- It is expected that you will have researched the organization/company and that you
can demonstrate this knowledge in the interview.
- It is acceptable and expected for you to ask questions at the end of the interview.
Be sure to ask what the next step is in the hiring process.
- It is acceptable for you to follow-up with an employer once or twice after the interview
to inquire about the status of your application. This demonstrates your interest in
- Review the interviewing section of the Career Center web site for more tips and resources.