CASA researchers have won awards for their research and scholarship from the College, the University, and the wider community.
CASA Outstanding Scholar
The CASA Outstanding Faculty Scholar Award is granted annually to one faculty member based on their history of scholarship and creative activities, recognition of outstanding achievements by peers, and importance of their work to the discipline and beyond.
- Laurie Drabble, Social Work, AY 11-12
- Ted Butryn, Kinesiology, AY 09-10
- Sadhna Diwan, Social Work, AY 08-09
- Janet R. Johnston, Justice Studies, AY 07-08
Each semester, three faculty members from across the university are selected to present their research or scholarship at a public event co-sponsored by the Office of the Provost, the University Library, and the Spartan Bookstore. Four CASA faculty members have been selected in the past five years.
- Dr. Ted Butryn and Dr. Matt Masucci, Kinesiology, Fall 2014, presented their research on female triatheles and the anti-doping movement, funded by the World Anti-Doping Agency.
- Dr. Amy D'Andrade, Social Work, Spring 2012, presented her research on process of parent/child reunification in foster care, and challenges in the social service system.
- Dr. Laurie Drabble, Social Work, Fall 2010, presented her research on understanding alcohol and drug-related problems among marginalized populations of women, and collaboration between addiction treatment and child welfare fields.
The purpose of the annual San Jose State University Research Foundation Early Career Investigator Award program is to recognize tenure-track faculty who have excelled in the areas of research, scholarship or creative activity, evidenced by their success in securing external funds for their research, peer reviewed publications, and other scholarly and creative activities, at an early or beginning point in their career.
Two awards are given each year, one to a faculty member in the Colleges of Science and Engineering, and one from a faculty member in all other Colleges. CASA researchers have won this award three times in the last five years!
- Lili Luo, School of Library and Information Science, AY 2012-2013.
- Marjorie Freedman, Nutrition Food Science and Packaging, AY 2011-2012.
- Amy D'Andrade, Social Work, AY 2010-2011.
External Research Awards
Dr. Kasuen Mauldin, Assistant Professor at San Jose State University in the Nutrition, Food Science and Packaging Department, has won the 2014 California Dietetics Association (CDA) Excellence in Research Award, given to a CDA member for professional excellence in dietetic/nutrition research. Award recipients must demonstrate leadership and active participation in nutrition-related professional associations, excel in contributing to the body of knowledge of dietetics/nutrition via research and in teaching others in a specialized field of research, and have a productive history of refereed research publications.