Bachelor's Degree Program

Students who major in Communicative Disorders and Sciences (CD&S) are seeking careers in the fields of Audiology or speech-language pathology. Speech-language pathologists identify, evaluate, and treat children and adults with speech, language, cognitive-communication, and/or swallowing disorders. Audiologists identify, diagnose, and treat individuals with hearing and/or balance disorders.

The undergraduate coursework in CD&S begins when a student has obtained Junior-level standing. The core curriculum is a two-year course of study that provides a foundation in speech, language, and hearing sciences, as well as principles of assessing and treating individuals with communication disorders. The curriculum follows a specific sequence of courses [pdf] that can only begin in a Fall semester. Consequently, students may not begin taking courses in the CD&S curriculum during a Spring semester. Therefore, if you are admitted to SJSU in Spring or decide to change majors mid-year, please consult with our CD&S undergraduate advisor, Dr. June McCullough. For more information about the program requirements, please review the degree requirements page.

It is important to know that BA in CD&S is not sufficient for a professional career as a speech-language pathologist or an audiologist. Rather, the undergraduate degree forms the basis for future graduate-level coursework in speech-language pathology or audiology. State and national standards require a Master's Degree (MA or MS) to practice speech-language pathology, and a clinical doctoral degree (Au.D.) to enter the practice of audiology.

If you would like to change your major to CD&S, please arrange an appointment with the CD&S undergraduate advisor, Dr. June McCullough. Prior to the appointment, please verify that you have an overall GPA above 2.7.