Baccalaureate Program Requirements

University Requirements

Minimum of 120 Units
  1. Core GE - 39 units
  2. SJSU Studies (formerly Advanced GE) - 12 units
  3. American Institutions - 6 units
  4. A Complete Major
  5. 2.0 (C) GPA required to graduate, though [3.0 (B) is the minimum required for consideration for admission to graduate schools in CD&S]
  6. 30 units of residence credit
  7. At least 40 units in upper division courses
  8. No more than 4 total units of special studies and/or directed reading (180 & 184 courses)


CD&S Pre-Professional Program Requirements

These courses are pre-requisites and are typically fulfilled by lower division GE requirements:

  1. Biological Science (typically biology or physiology or zoology)
  2. Physical Science (typically physics or chemistry or astronomy or geology)
  3. Behavioral Science (typically psychology or sociology)
  4. Statistics - STAT 95 or equivalent* if taken at another university or community college
    (*Health Statistics is not considered an equivalent course.)


Courses Required to Complete the Major:

  1. Speech-Language Pathology Courses - EDSP 102, 110, 111, 112, 113, 120, 124, 161, 162, and 177* (Speech-Language Practicum)
  2. Audiology Courses - EDAU 115, 170, 172, and 177* (Audiology Practicum)
  3. A Writing Requirement - 100W
  4. A Child Development Course (preferably taken before Junior year) - Choose ONE course from the following selection:
    ChAD 60, PYSC 102, or HS 15
  5. A Statistic Course - STAT 95 or equivalent equivalent** if already taken at another university or community college

    *Not all students will qualify for practica (EDSP 177 and EDAU 177). If you do not qualify, please plan to meet with the department advisor to complete a course substitution form. For more details, please refer to our undergraduate course sequence [pdf].

    **Health Statistics is not considered an equivalent course for STAT 95.

Suggested Electives:

  1. EDSE 112 - Sign Language
  2. Any additional courses in Linguistics and/or Psychology


ASHA Basic Science Requirements

All students, regardless of your status in the program (Undergraduate, Extended Master, or Master), must fulfill the American Speech-Language Hearing Association's basic science coursework before graduating from our program. Many years ago, The Clinical Certification Board established this requirement to ensure that SLP professionals have a strong scientific foundation to support their work. As defined by the standards, each student  must complete the following:

Category 1. A course in the Biological Sciences (e.g. Intro to Biology, Intro to Zoology ) or equivalent.

Category 2. A course in the Behavioral Sciences (e.g. Intro to Psychology, Intro to Sociology or any equivalent course in these disciplines.

Category 3. A course in the Physical Sciences (e.g. physics, chemistry, astronomy) or equivalent

Category 4. A course in Mathematical Sciences (this is fulfilled through our program requirement to take Math 95 (Statistics) or its equivalent)


California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) Requirement

Category 5. A class in child and adolescent development (satisfied by SJSU's ChAD 60, PSYC 102, or HS 15 - or any equivalent course from another university or community college)

This is requirement is necessary to obtain a credential which allows Speech-Language Pathologists to practice in school settings.


Many of you will find that you may already have taken classes in these categories as part of your general education requirements. If that is the case, you do not have to take them again. However, if you have neglected to complete any of these requirements, you must complete them before you are able to graduate from the program.

If you are an SJSU student in the CD&S undergraduate program and you are missing any of the classes listed above, you should plan on completing them at SJSU or a community college during your Senior year.

If you are an Extended Master's student or regular Master's student from another university, you may take these classes anytime and anyplace (e.g.: at a community college, during summer, during winter break, etc.). However, it is our strong advice to each student that you complete these classes before you enter the graduate program. Do so will ease your course load and allow you to focus on speech-language pathology courses and clinics.