Extended Master Students

The Extended Master Program is for students who meet all of the other admission criteria for the Master's Degree Program, but do not currently have a major in speech pathology/audiology. Our program admits graduates with a variety of backgrounds such as mathematics, engineering, teaching, linguistics, dance, theater and foreign languages.

The requirements for the major and the Master's Program are typically completed in a three year period. Please see the course sequence page for the pre-requisites and course requirements. Most of the courses must be completed at SJSU, while others can be completed prior to admission.


Course Sequence


ASHA Basic Science Requirements

All students regardless of your status in the program (Undergraduate, Extended Masters or Masters) must fulfill the American Speech-Language Hearing Association basic science coursework before graduating from the program. The Clinical Certification Board established this requirement many years ago to ensure that SLP professionals have a strong scientific foundation to support their work. As defined by the standards, everyone must complete the following:

CATEGORY 1. A course in the Biological Sciences (e.g. Intro to Biology, Intro to Zoology ) or equivalent.

CATEGORY 2. A course in the Behavioral Sciences (e.g. Intro to Psychology, Intro to Sociology or any equivalent course in these disciplines.

CATEGORY 3. A course in the Physical Sciences (e.g. physics, chemistry, astronomy) or equivalent

CATEGORY 4. A course in Mathematical Sciences (this is fulfilled through our program requirement to take Math 95 (Statistics) or its equivalent)


CCTC Requirement

California Commission on Teacher Credentialing

CATEGORY 5. A class in child and adolescent development (satisfied by SJSU CHAD 60, or Psych 102, or Health Sciences 115) or its equivalent

This is required to obtain a credential to become a Speech-Language Pathologist in the schools.

Many of you will find that you may already have taken classes in these categories as part of your general education requirements. If you have, that's great and you do not have to take them again. However, if you have deficiencies in any of these requirements you must complete them before you leave the program.

If you are SJSU student in the CDS undergraduate program and you are missing any of these classes you should plan on taking them at SJSU during your Senior year.

If you are an extended master's student or regular master's student from another university, you may take these classes anytime and anyplace (e.g community college, during summer, during winter break etc). However, it is our strong advice to everyone that you complete these classes before you enter the graduate program in order to ease your course load during the time you are here.