||Publication and Research
|Dr. Shaum Bhagat
- Bass, J.K., Huang, G., Hua, C.H., Bhagat, S.P., Mendel L.L., Onar-Thomas, A., Indelicato, D.J., and Merchant, T.E. (2018). Auditory
outcomes in patients who received proton radiotherapy for craniophyarngioma. American Journal of Audiology, August 1, 1-10. [E-Pub ahead of print].
- Bhagat, S.P. and Yellamsetty, A. (2017). The role of efferent reduction of cochlear compression
in the detection of tones in noise. Open Journal of Acoustics, 7, 69-82.
- Bidelman, G.M., Schneider, A.D., Heitzmann, V.R., and Bhagat, S.P. (2017). Musicianship enhances ipsilateral and contralateral efferent gain control
to the cochlea. Hearing Research, 344, 275-283.
- Bidelman, G.M. and Bhagat, S.P. (2017). Cochlear, brainstem, and psychophysical responses show spectrotemporal tradeoff in human auditory
processing. Neuroreport 28(1), 17-22.
- Bhagat, S., Yellamsetty, A, and Taylor, B. (2016, November). A comparison of HyperSound and conventional loudspeaker transmission characteristics
in an anechoic environment. AudiologyOnline, Article 18525.
- Bidelman, G.M., Nelms, C., and Bhagat, S.P. (2016). Musical experience sharpens human cochlear tuning. Hearing Research, 335, 40-46.
- Bidelman, G.M. and Bhagat, S.P. (2016). Objective detection of auditory steady-state potentials based on mutual information. International Journal of Audiology,55(5), 313-319.
- Bidelman, G.M. and Bhagat, S.P. (2015). Right ear advantage drives the link between olivocochlear efferent ‘antimasking’
and speech-in-noise listening benefits. Neuroreport, 26(8), 483-487.
- Bhagat, S.P. (2014). Modeling DPOAE input/output function compression: comparisons with hearing
thresholds. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 25, 746-759.
- Bidelman, G.M., Schug, J.M., Jennings, S.J., and Bhagat, S.P. (2014). Psychophysical auditory filter estimates reveal sharper cochlear tuning in
musicians. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 136 EL 33-39.
- Bhagat, S., Bass, J., Qaddoumi, I., Brennan, R., Wilson, M., Wu, J.,Rodriguez-Galindo, C., Paglialonga,
A., and Tognola, G. (2013). Time-frequency analysis of transient-evoked otoacoustic
emissions in children exposed to carboplatin chemotherapy. Audiology and Neurotology, 18, 71-82.
- Bass, J.K., Huang, J., Onar-Thomas, A., Chang, K.W., Bhagat, S.P., Chintagumpala, M., Bartels, U., Gururangan, S., Hassall, T., Heath, J.A., McCowage,
G., Cohn, R.J., Fisher, M.J., Robinson, G., Broniscer, A., Gajjar, A., and Gurney,
J.G. (2014). Concordance between the Chang and the International Society of Pediatric
Oncology (SIOP) grading scales in patients treated with cisplatin for medulloblastoma. Pediatric Blood and Cancer, 61, 601-605.
- Bhagat, S.P. and Kilgore. C. (2014). Efferent-mediated reduction in cochlear gain does not alter
tuning estimates from stimulus-frequency otoacoustic emission group delays. Neuroscience Letters, 559, 132-135.
- Bhagat, S.P. and Carter, P.H. (2010). Efferent-induced change in cochlear compression and its influence
on masking of tones. Neuroscience Letters, 485, 94-97.
- Bhagat, S.P., Bass, J.K., White, S.T., Qaddoumi, I., Wilson, M.J., Wu, J., Rodriguez-Galindo,
C. (2010). Monitoring carboplatin ototoxicity with distortion-product otoacoustic
emissions in children with retinoblastoma. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 74, 1156-1163.
- Bhagat, S. (2009). Analysis of distortion-product otoacoustic emission spectra in normal-hearing
adults. American Journal of Audiology, 18, 60-68.
- Bhagat, S.P. and Davis, A.M. (2008). Modification of otoacoustic emissions following ear-level
exposure to MP3 player music. International Journal of Audiology, 47, 751-760.
- Bhagat, S.P. (2008). The effects of monotic and dichotic interference tones on 40 Hz auditory
steady-state responses in normal-hearing adults. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology 19, 101-119.
- Bhagat, S.P. (2012). Frequency-following responses (Chapter 7). In Atcherson, S. and Stoody, T.
(Eds.) Auditory Electrophysiology: A Clinical Guide. Thieme Publishers (pp. 85-103).
- Bhagat, S.P. (2012). Ototoxic hearing loss and retinoblastoma patients. In Kumaramanickavel, G.
(Ed.) Retinoblastoma: An Update on Clinical, Genetic Counseling, Epidemiology, and Molecular
Tumor Biology. Intech Publishers (pp. 39-54).
|Dr. Paul Cascella
- Neave-DiToro, D., Vogel, D.A., Wortsman, S.E., & Cascella, P.W. (2018). Risk management practices at university clinics in communication sciences
and disorders. Teaching and Learning in Communication Sciences & Disorders, 2(2), 1-18.
- Cascella, P.W., Simpson, L.A., & Hagie, C. (2018). Case 13: Prioritizing communication supports
for an adolescent with intellectual disability. In R.C. Branski & S. Molfentor (Eds.), Speech-Language Pathology Casebook. Thieme Publishing.
- Cascella, P.W., Bruce, S.M., & Trief, E. (2015). Sign language, speech, and communication repair
abilities by children with congenital deafblindness. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 109(2), 141-146.
- Cascella, P.W., Bruce, S.M., & Trief, E. (2014). Communication profiles of two children with Pitt-Hopkins
syndrome. Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities, 26, 473-378.
- Cascella, P.W., & Aliotta, F. (2014). Strategies to enhance the informed consent process for communication
disorders researchers. Communication Disorders Quarterly, 35(4), 258-251.
- Cascella, P.W., (2014). Tangible object symbols: A case study with an adult with multiple disabilities.
Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 108(3), 249-255.
- Trief, E., Cascella, P.W., & Bruce, S.M. (2013). A Field study of a universal tangible symbol system for learners
who are visually impaired and have multiple disabilities. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 107(3), 180-191.
- Cascella, P.W., Trief, E., & Bruce, S.M. (2012). Parent and teacher ratings of communication among
children with severe disabilities and visual impairment/blindness. Communication Disorders Quarterly, 33(4), 249-251.
- Bruce, S.M., Trief, E., & Cascella, P.W. (2011). Teachers’ and speech-language pathologists’ perceptions about tangible symbols
intervention: Efficacy, generalization, and recommendations. Augmentative and Alternative Communication, 27(3), 172-182.
- Trief, E., Bruce, S.M., & Cascella, P.W. (2010). The Selection of tangible symbols by educators of students with multiple
disabilities and visual impairment. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 104(8), 499-504.
- Trief, E., Bruce, S.M., Cascella, P.W., & Ivy, S. (2009). The Development of a universal tangible symbol system. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 103(7), 425-430.
- Cascella, P.W., & Vogel, D.J. (2008). Student self-directed professional development as a formative
assessment skill. Perspectives on Issues in Higher Education, 11(June), 4-8.
- D’Agostino, M.E., & Cascella, P.W. (2008). Communication supports by job caches of people with developmental disabilities.
Journal of Physical & Developmental Disabilities, 20, 551-560.
- McLaughlin, K., & Cascella, P.W. (2008). Eliciting a distal gesture via dynamic assessment among students with moderate
to severe intellectual disability. Communication Disorders Quarterly, 29(2), 75-81.
|Dr. June Antablin McCullough
- CSHA (2007) Guidelines for Assessment and Treatment of (Central) Auditory Processing
Disorders. Hamaguchi, McCullough, Novak, and Swain, Task Force Members.
- McCullough, JA, Mormer, E. (2002). Matching Hearing Technology to the Needs, Goals, and Preferences
of Individual Listeners. Contemp Issues in CS&D, 29, 101-110.
- McCullough, JA, Wilson RH (2001). Performance on a Spanish Picture-Identification Task using a Multimedia
Format. J Amer Acad Audiol, 12, 254-260.
- Hamaguchi, P. & McCullough, JA (2000). San Jose Unified School District: CAPD Referral, Identification, and Treatment
Guidelines. Monograph, SJUSD, San Jose, CA.
- Aleksandrovsky, IV, McCullough, JK, Wilson, RH (1998). Development of Suprathreshold Word-Recognition Test for Russian‑Speaking
Patients. J Amer Acad Audiol, 9, 417‑425
|Dr. Nidhi Mahendra
Bell, C.B., Lopez, R. P., Mahendra, N., Tamai, A., Davis, J., Amella, E., Masaki, K. (2016). Person-centered feeding care:
A reassessment protocol to re-introduce oral feeding for nursing home residents on
tube feeding. Journal of Nutrition, Health, and Aging, 20, 1-7. DOI: 10.1007/s12603-016-0699-9.
Mahendra, N., Spicer, J. (2014). Access to speech-language pathology services for African-American
clients with aphasia: A qualitative study. Perspectives on Communication Disorders in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Populations,
21(2), 53-62. doi:10.1044/cds21.2.53.
Mahendra, N., Fremont, K., Dionne, E. (2013). Teaching future providers about dementia: The impact
of service learning. Seminars in Speech and Language,34(1), 5-17.
Mahendra, N. (2012). The logopenic variant of primary progressive aphasia: Effects on linguistic
communication. Perspectives onGerontology, 17(2), 50-59.
Mahendra, N. (2012). South Asian stories: First hand perspectives on barriers to accessing speech
language pathology services. Perspectives on Communication Disorders in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Populations, 19(1), 29-36.
- Mahendra, N., Hickey E., Bourgeois, M. (2017, In Press). Cognitive-communicative characteristics:
Profiling types of dementia (Chapter 3). In Bourgeois, M. & Hickey, E. (Eds.). Dementia: from diagnosis to management-a functional approach (2nd Edition, PP 42 - 80). NY: Taylor & Francis.
- Mahendra, N., Hopper, T. (2017). Dementia and related neurocognitive disorders. In I. Papathanasiou,
P. Coppens, C. Potagas (Eds). Aphasia and Related Neurogenic Communication Disorders (2nd Edition). Boston, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
- Mahendra, N. (2016). Dementia: From concept to clinical practice. In M. Kimbarow (Ed). Cognitive-Communication Disorders (2nd Edition). San Diego, CA: Plural Publishing.
|Dr. Jean Novak
- Mendez, K., Levy, K., Nelms, M., Hoff, D., Novak, J., & Levy, M. (2011). Cross cultural variation in the Neurodevelopmental Assessment
of Children – The cultural and neurological to 2nd language acquisition in children with autism (Chapter 8). A comprehensive book on
autism spectrum disorders. InTech Open Europe, Croatia, 147-166.
- In press: Novak, J. Building Awareness of Diversity in the Treatment of Autism.
- In press: Novak, J. Sports in the US for Individuals with Disabilities: A Therapeutic Perspective.
- In progress: Novak, J., Chu, H, Cascella, P. Efficacy of Music Therapy on Communication Skills Development:
A Restrospective Parent Study.
|Dr. Wendy Quach
- McKelvey, M.L., Weissling, K., Lund, S.K., Quach, W., Dietz, A. (submitted). Assessment of adults with acquired communication disorders
who need augmentative and alternative communication:
Clinical decisions of AAC specialists. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology.
- Ames, A., Archer, B, Inkster, M., Quach, W., Pollock, K. (submitted). Outcomes of an immersive augmentative and alternative communication
(AAC) camp experience for pre-professional student counsellors: A pilot. Canadian Journal of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Speech-Language and Audiology
- Quach, W. & Tsai, P.T. 2017). Preparing future SLPs for the clinical world of cultural-linguistic
diversity. Perspect ASHA SIGs, 2(SIG 14), 82–102. doi: 10.1044/persp2.SIG14.82
- Lund, S. K., Quach, W., Wiessling, K., McKelvey, M., & Dietz, A. (2017). Assessment with children who need
augmentative and alternative communication (AAC): Clinical decisions of AAC specialists.
Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools. Advanced online publication. doi:10.1044/2016_LSHSS-15-0086
- Jabagchourian, J., Sorkhabi, N., Quach, W., Strage, A. (2014). Parenting styles and practices of Latino parents and Latino fifth
graders' academic, cognitive, social, and behavioral outcomes. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 36, 175-194 doi: 10.1177/0739986314523289.
- Dietz, A., Quach, W., Lund, S., & McKelvey, M. (2012) AAC assessment and clinical decision making: The
impact of experience. Augmentative and Alternative Communication, 28, 148-159.
- Binger, C., Ball, L., Dietz, A., Kent-Walsh, J., Lasker, J., Lund, S., McKelvey, M.,
& Quach, W. (2012). Personnel roles in the AAC assessment process. Augmentative & Alternative Communication. 28, 278 – 288.
- Kimbarow, M.L., Quach, W., & Meyerson, M. (2010). The universality of facial expression and recognition in
normal and disordered communication: A review of the literature. Asia Pacific Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing, 13, 1 – 12.
Quach, W. & Roman, A. (2014). Mary: Implementation of AAC systems in a person with spinal (limb)
onset ALS. In J. McCarthy & A. Dietz (Eds.). Augmentative and Alternative Communication: An interactive clinical casebook, a multimedia
product. San Diego, CA: Plural Publishing, Inc.
|Dr. Pei-Tzu Tsai
- Quach, W. & Tsai, P.T. (2017). Preparing future SLPs for the clinical world of cultural-linguistic diversity. Perspect ASHA SIGs, 2(SIG 14), 82–102. doi: 10.1044/persp2.SIG14.82
- Tsai, P.-T., & Bernstein Ratner, N. (2016). Involvement of central cognitive mechanism in word
production in adults who stutter. Journal of Speech, Language, & Hearing Research, 59, 1269-1282.
- Langdon, H., Tsai, P.-T., & Węsierska, K. (2015). Evidence-based practice in stuttering: Views from American and Polish clinical
perspectives. Forum Logopedyczne, 23, 8-16.
- Tsai, P.-T. (2015). [Review of the book Stuttering: foundations and clinical applications (2nd ed.) by Ehud Yairi and Carol Seery (Eds.)]. Journal of Fluency Disorders, 46, 58-60.
- Tsai, P.-T., Lim, V. P. C., Brundage, S., & Bernstein Ratner, N. (2011). Linguistic analysis
and stuttering in bilingual speakers: Methodological challenges and solutions. In
P. Howell & J. Van Borsel (Eds). Multilingual aspects of fluency disorders. New York, NY: Psychology Press, Taylor and Francis Group.