Bachelor's Degree Program

Students who major in Communicative Disorders and Sciences (CD&S) are seeking careers in the fields of audiology or speech-language pathology. Speech-language pathologists identify, evaluate, and treat children and adults with speech, language, cognitive-communication, and/or swallowing disorders. Audiologists identify, diagnose, and treat individuals with hearing and/or balance disorders.

The undergraduate coursework in CD&S begins when a student has obtained Junior-level standing. The core curriculum is a two-year course of study that provides a foundation in speech, language, and hearing sciences, as well as principles of assessing and treating individuals with communication disorders. The curriculum follows a specific sequence of courses in CD&S that can only begin in a Fall semester. Consequently, students may not begin taking courses in the CD&S curriculum during a Spring semester. Please also see the BA Degree Roadmap. Therefore, if you are admitted to SJSU in Spring or decide to change majors mid-year, please consult with our CD&S undergraduate advisor, Shaum Bhagat. For more information about the program requirements, please review the degree requirements page.

It is important to know that a BA degree in CD&S is not sufficient for a professional career as a speech-language pathologist or an audiologist. Rather, the undergraduate degree forms the basis for future graduate-level coursework in speech-language pathology or audiology. State and national standards require a Master's Degree (MA or MS) to practice speech-language pathology, and a clinical doctoral degree (Au.D.) to enter the practice of audiology.

If you would like to change your major to CD&S, please arrange an appointment with the CD&S undergraduate advisor, Dr. Shaum Bhagat. Prior to the appointment, please verify that you have an overall GPA above 2.7.

Sequence of Undergraduate Courses

Degree Requirements

Degree Roadmap

Undergraduate Program Learning Outcomes