What does the College of Graduate Studies do?
Graduate Student Support
- Manage university-wide financial supports for graduate student research and education,
including assistantships, fellowships, scholarships, and awards.
- Organize events that enrich the academic, career development, and student life opportunities for
- Help graduate students navigate challenges that affect their academic progress.
- Provide students, faculty, and graduate advisors with information related to graduate
Graduate Admissions and Recruiting
- Manage graduate student admissions, in partnership with departments, through our Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluation team.
- Manage enrollment targets and graduate student recruitment in partnership with CPGE and departments.
- Represent the needs of graduate students and graduate education in university decision-making
committees and bodies.
- Highlight graduate student research, scholarship, and creative activity both externally
and at the university.
- Serve as a liaison between SJSU and the national and international organizations involved
in graduate education.
- Partner with University Advancement to raise the visibility of graduate education and the opportunities for investment
with private donors, and corporate and government leaders.
- Foster inclusive communities within all graduate programs.
Graduate Curriculum and Policy Matters
- Work with the Curriculum and Research Committee of the Academic Senate to develop university policies related to graduate education.
- Convene faculty and student advisory groups to identify opportunities for university-wide
enhancements for graduate students and to graduate education.
- Work with colleges and departments to develop new graduate programs.
- Work with graduate programs to promote data-informed decision-making, program improvements,
Academic Evaluation and Oversight
- Review and certify graduate student completion of degree requirements through our Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluation team.
- Participate in periodic program planning evaluation of all university graduate programs.