What is the difference between Plan A and Plan B?

You must decide whether you will follow Plan A or one of the two versions of Plan B for your major plan.  A basic consideration is whether teaching in grades K – 8 is your career goal.  If it is, Plan A is the better choice for you. 

Plan B is designed for students who are interested in careers working in early childhood education settings or with children and their families in community settings.  Plan B has two paths – an early childhood focus and a community focus.

1.  What are the benefits of following Plan A?

The set of courses required for this path through the major includes subject matter  preparation in each of the academic areas commonly taught in elementary schools:  language and literature; mathematics and science; humanities and the arts; human development and physical education; and history and the social sciences.  Coursework in these topics will help you prepare to pass the CSEST, a required text in teacher credential programs.

2.  What is the CSET waiver, and how does it relate to Plan A?

The California Commission on Teacher Credentialling (CTC) in the summer of 2017 approved the ChAD Plan A major to be a waiver of the CSET.  What that means is that students who complete all the requirements on the advising form with no course substitutions and maintain a 2.0 GPA can waive the CSET requirement for the credential.  ChAD advisors are prepared to asnwer all your questions about the waiver.  Something important that you should know is that if you decide at some point that you want to substitute Plan A requirements, you can do that with your advisor's agreement.  You will graduate with your Plan A bachelor's degree BUT you will not be ineligible for the waiver and, thus, you will be required to pass the CSET.

3.  Do I have to follow Plan A if I want to become a teacher?

No, to apply to a credential program you need to have a BA in something.  So, Plan A and both Plans B will suffice (as would other degree programs).  You are not guaranteed entrance to a credential program simply because you complete Plan A.  Colleges use several criteria for acceptance into credential programs.  Check the requirements of the credential program that interests you.

4.  How are the two plans different/the same?

For either plan, you must complete 120 units to graduate. 

There are two big differences.  Clearly the career trajectories of each differ.  Plan A students are fairly certain that they want to earn a teaching credential.  Plan B students are generally interested either in early education or a community focus on children and families.  The other difference is that Plan A has far more required courses than does either version of Plan B because Plan A includes the subject matter preparation program.  That means that Plan A has few options for electives.

Many of the basic required ChAD courses are the same for both plans.  One difference is that in Plan A your practicum will be in a K-8 classroom and in Plan B your practicum will be either in the department lab preschool or in a community setting serving children and families.  

5.  Can I switch from one plan to another?

You can switch from one plan to another (e.g., Plan A to Plan B or the revese) at any time.  However, you must fulfill all requirements for the plan you have selected before your degree will be granted by SJSU.  In addition, if you change from plans, you will need to complete a formal change of major form.

6.  Will my ChAD advisor be able to help me make a decision about which plan to follow?

Absolutely, yes!  You get really careful advising in ChAD.  We urge you to make an advising appointment anytime you have questions or concerns.  We want you to have a productive experience at SJSU.  Let us help you sort out those parts of the experience that are troublesome for you.