Frequently Asked Questions

Listed in no particular order are many of the questions that faculty and office staff are often asked by students.

How often should I see a ChAD advisor?

Students are not required to meet with an advisor except once during the first year at SJSU and again the semesters before they expect to graduate. Whenever you feel that you need additional information, you should meet with an advisor.

Is a 'D' a passing grade?

In ChAD , we encourage students to study carefully and learn the material. Occasionally students do not do well. For courses in our department, we accept grades as low as D- as passing, however, overall in the major courses you need a GPA of 2.0. Students should check the University catalog for the requirements in other departments.

In General Education courses a C- is an acceptable minimum passing grade except in written communications, mathematical concepts, critical thinking, and oral communications courses where a C is the required minimum.

What do faculty do during office hours?

Faculty office hours are wonderful times for students to have one-on-one discussions with their teachers about all sorts of things, and we strongly urge you to take advantage of this resource. For example, if you are having trouble with a challenging assignment, go talk with the instructor to get advice and assistance. If you did not do well on a graded assignment, talk with your teacher about how you could improve your performance on other assignments. Sometimes faculty are working on research projects. If you would like to become involved in conducting research, talk with your instructors.

What if I am having a problem with one of my instructors?

The first thing you should do is immediately make an appointment to talk with your teacher privately. Try to resolve the problem by being candid and clear about what the issues are. If, after meeting with your instructor, you feel that the issue is still not resolved, you should talk with the department chair. You can do this by going to SH 201 and making an appointment.

Am I required to have a minor along with my major in ChAD ?

ChAD does not require a minor, and only a small percentage of our students select one. If you are thinking about a minor, talk with an advisor in the department you are considering.

I need to see an advisor immediately but all the appointments in the near future are taken. What should I do?

Occasionally, and only with a compelling reason, students can make appointments for advisement by speaking with the department administrative assistant in SH 201 who will determine whether the student's need is urgent.

How do I know whether a course at some other college substitutes for one at SJSU?

The University maintains a highly informative student information website that will show what equivalent courses are offered at community colleges, CSU campuses, and some other colleges and universities.

What is the difference between Plan A and Plan B?

Click here to find the differences between Plan A and Plan B.