Becoming a ChAD Major

Thinking about changing your major to

Child & Adolescent Development?


ChAD currently accepts all students who would like to complete the major but there are eligibility criteria for admission to the program. The Advising Hub provides information about declaring a major.

For ChAD it's easy.  Here's all you need to do . . .

1. If you were not accepted as a ChAD major at the time you enrolled at SJSU, admission to the ChAD major requires completion of these four courses with a grade of C or better in each:

  • ChAD 60*
  • ChAD 70* (preferred) or ChAD 67*
  • PSYCH 1*
  • STAT 95* or SOCS 15* or equivalent

* You may have taken these courses at another college. Check for course equivalencies on the SJSU articulation site.

2. Take your change of major form to the ChAD office (SH 201) for a signature. Be sure to have a grade printout that shows completion of all four courses required for admission to the program.

3. Once you are a declared ChAD major make an appointment to see an advisor:

Go to the Gradesfirst website:

From your student homepage, select the blue “Get Advising” button on the right sidebar.

Follow the prompts and select the reasons for your appointment.

Choose a location for the appointment (if applicable).

Choose a date and time that works for you.

Verify the who, what, where, why, and add comments. Then confirm your appointment.

The appointment is now on your GradesFirst Calendar (left sidebar, calendar icon).

4.  Prepare for your first advisement appointment.  Take the following documents to SH 201 on the Wednesday one week prior to your appointment date:

Plan A or Plan B advising form (fill out the top portion only)

Unofficial transcripts of all your college work (e.g., community college, SJSU)