Alternative to the International Experience Requirement
We understand that some students may be unable to travel abroad due to health issues, immigration/documentation status (i.e., AB 540, DACA, undocumented), financial hardship, family/work responsibilities or other situations. In these cases, students can petition to complete an alternative experience locally or elsewhere within The United States. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Meet with a CHaHS International Experience advisor in the CHaHS Student Success Center for advising on resources and options available for international study and alternative experiences, and the process for submitting a petition.
- Complete the Alternative Petition. Be sure to include supporting documentation.
- Obtain signatures of the CHaHS International Experience advisor and your academic advisor or department chair, and submit the petition to the CHaHS Dean’s office, 431 MacQuarrie Hall.
- Final determination regarding travel alternatives must be approved by the dean of CHaHS. The Dean’s office will notify you when the petition has been signed.
If you are approved for a travel alternative you must complete one of the following options:
- Complete a 7-10 day domestic cultural program within the United States offered by SJSU Global Education and Initiatives.
- Register for and complete APSC 198ITL, 1-unit online seminar course. APSC 198ITL is offered in Fall and Spring semesters. You must complete the domestic cultural program before you take APSC 198ITL.
- Submit the certificate of participation for the domestic cultural program to your APSC 198ITL instructor.
- Complete 20 hours of volunteer service in a local organization that serves individuals or communities from a culture that is different than your own.
- Register for and complete APSC 198ITL, 1-unit online seminar course. APSC 198ITL is offered in Fall and Spring semesters. You can complete the volunteer service either before taking APSC 198ITL or while enrolled in APSC 198ITL.
- Submit a letter verifying completion of 20 hours of volunteer service to your APSC 198ITL instructor. The letter must be on the organization’s letterhead and signed by an employee of the organization (see sample verification letter attached to the petition form).