Adjunct Professor in Biomedical, Chemical, and Materials Engineering
B.A., Molecular Biology & Biochemistry, University of Colorado at Boulder, 1976
Ph.D., Chemistry, University of California at Santa Cruz, 1987
- Development of theoretical/computational methods to characterize sequence?related entropy effects for proteins and RNA Exploration of physically-based models of DNA sequence alignment.
- Prediction of protein-protein interaction sites from sequence and homology.
- Better design potential anti-HIV agents and other exploration of nucleic acid binding and related physical behavior.
Nepal, R., Spencer, J., Bhogal, G., Nedunuri, A., Poelman, T., Kamath, T., Chung, E., Kantardjieff, K., Gottlieb, A, and Lustig, B. "Logistic regression models to predict solvent accessible residues using sequence and homology-based qualitative and quantitative descriptors applied to a domain-complete X-ray structure learning set" (2015) J. Appl. Crystallog. 48, 1976-1984.
- Rose, D., Nepal, R., Gholizadeh, S., Mishra, R., Lau, R., and Lustig, B. "Novel application of query-based qualitative predictors for characterization of solvent accessible residues in conjunction with protein sequence homology" (2011) Proceedings of the 22nd International Workshop on Database and Expert Systems Applications, 70-74.
- Liao, H., Yeh, W., Chiang, D., Jernigan, R. L. and Lustig, B. “Protein sequence entropy is closely related to packing density and hydrophobicity” (2005) Prot. Engr. 18, 59-64.
- Wander, D. S., Yang, F., McNeil, M and Lustig, B. “Scoring DNA sequence alignment using energetics of hybridization” (2003) Proceedings of Annual Meeting of American Institute of Chemical Engineers T2/555b(1-8).
- Hsieh, M., Collins, E. D., Blomquist, T. and Lustig, B. "Flexibility of BIV TAR-Tat: Models of peptides binding" (2002) J. Biomol. Struct. Dyn. 20, 243-251.
- Lustig, B. and Jeang K.-T. "Biological applications of hammerhead ribozymes as anti-viral molecules" (2001) Current Medicinal Chemistry 8, 1181-1187.
- Lustig, B., Bahar, I. and Jernigan, R. L. "RNA bulge entropies correlate with peptide binding strengths for HIV-1 and BIV TAR RNA because of improved conformational access" (1998) Nucleic Acids Res. 26, 5212-5217.